Giant Savings is an adware program, which was made to bring savings, offers, and coupons to Internet users. It is more inclined to online advertising to ensure promotion of products and services. It is installed as an add-on or extension to your browser so that security programs may not see it as harmful object. Giant Savings normally loads into the computer without asking for user’s permission. Web site that offers free program download usually bundles this adware to other software.
Once inside your PC, Giant Savings places some files and registry entries. Aside from that, the adware also input settings into the browser as mentioned earlier. These changes can cause the Giant Savings coupons and offers to pop-up while you are browsing online stores. Pop-up box contains misleading savings coupons to divert your browser to unknown web pages.
As of this writing, we noticed no activities of browser hijacking by Giant Savings. Thus, we prepare a procedure to remove add-on and extension deposited by the adware on Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox. Please ensure that you will follow every step for proper removal of Giant Savings from your browser. Also, scan the computer with suggested anti-malware program in order to remove hidden files and registry entries.
Giant Savings Removal Procedures
On this section are guides that will help you get rid of the threat. Make sure to perform the procedures in exact manner to ensure complete removal of adware, malware, and virus, which may be present on the computer.
Step 1 : Scan the computer with Anti-Malware Tool to Automatically Remove Giant Savings
Scanning the computer with anti-malware tool instantly removes items linked to Giant Savings. Though, this may not fix problems on individual internet browser application.
If the outcome of this anti-malware scan did not fully removed Giant Savings, then you have to execute procedures for affected browser program. Provided on this page are easy to follow instructions to solve problems for specific browser. You may also try Windows System Restore to return the computer to previous clean state.
1. Start downloading the anti-malware tool by clicking on the link below. You can either save the file or directly run it after the download.
2. Install the program with default settings. Run the installation procedure as it is.
3. The program will automatically update the database when installation completes. Thus, it is important that internet connection is active during this process.
4. Once installed, run a Threat Scan (Recommended) to scan all the places malware is known to hide.
5. At the end of the scan process, anti-malware tool will display list of identified threats. Be sure to select all and remove them from the computer.
6. Finally, it will prompt you to restart the computer to finalized removal of threats. Please reboot the computer.
Step 2 : Uninstall Giant Savings from Windows Control Panel
1. Depending on your Operating System, follow the guide below to access Windows Control Panel.
Opening Control Panel - Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
Click on Windows Start > Control Panel. New window will open where in you can adjust computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel - Windows 8 and Windows 10
a) For Windows 8 and Windows 10 users, the simplest way to open Control Panel is via shortcut key. This method is accessible in older versions of Windows.
b) Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to intiate Run dialog box.
c) Type Control Panel in the Open field and click OK.
2. Once you are in Control Panel window, go to Programs section. Click on 'Uninstall a program' link.
3. Program and Features window will open. You can uninstall or change any installed program using this feature.
4. Look for Giant Savings or any similar name from the list. You may also try to find and remove items with the following names: Engaging Apps
If name of adware or relevant entry is not present, please try to uninstall recently installed suspicious program. To do this, arrange listed programs in chronological order. Click on 'Installed On' to see programs recently installed.
5. Select the Adware from the list and click on Uninstall button. See image below for reference. Removing any suspicious software may also help solve the issue.
6. On the next prompt, confirmation is required to continue.
7. Click OK to proceed with the removal of Giant Savings or any relevant software.
Step 3 : Remove Giant Savings Add-ons and Extensions from your Browser
Follow these procedures to remove Giant Savings extensions, add-ons, and unwanted search engine from Internet browsers. You must be aware that adware may trick you by using different name. If adware name is not listed, please look for and remove relevant items such as Engaging Apps.
Procedures to Remove Giant Savings from Google Chrome
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. In the address bar, type the following and press Enter on keyboard: chrome://extensions
3. Google Chrome's Extensions window will open.
4. Find Giant Savings or any similar items. Click on Trash Icon beside the adware extension to remove it from Google Chrome.
(Optional) Restore Google Chrome's Home Page and Default Search Engine
Not all adware are designed to affect home page and default search engine. If your home page is hijack by Giant Savings, you may carry out this guide. Same case if the adware affects your default search engine.
1. On Google Chrome browser, type the given strings in the address bar and press Enter on your keyboard: chrome://settings
2. To remove Giant Savings from start-up and new tab pages of Chrome, you need to reset the default home page settings. Scroll down to 'On startup' and choose 'Open a specific page or set of pages'. Click on Set pages link to open Startup Pages window.
3. Hover your cursor to unwanted web address and click X to remove Giant Savings from the start-up page. See image for reference.
4. Choose your preferred start-up page from the list or type the address on the field 'Enter Url...' and press Enter on your keyboard.
5. Click OK to save the settings. Please stay on Settings page.
6. Scroll down to Search area.
7. Click on Manage Search Engines... button. List of available search engines will appear on new window.
8. Hover your cursor to favored search engine and click on Make Default.
9. Next, we need to remove unwanted search engine. Select suspicious or item that is relevant to Giant Savings and click on X mark to delete it.
10. When done removing unwanted search engines, click Done and restart Google Chrome browser.
Ways to Remove Giant Savings from Internet Explorer
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Go to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the drop-down list. This will open window wherein you can view Internet Explorer add-ons.
3. Go to left panel and click on Toolbars and Extensions. Browse the list of installed extensions and Delete or Disable any items that are relevant to Giant Savings.
(Optional) Restore Internet Explorer's Home Page and Default Search Engine
Proceed with this procedure if Giant Savings manages to alter your home page and default search engine. Otherwise, you may skip these steps if those areas are not affected.
1. While still on Manage Add-ons window, go to left panel and click Search Providers.
2. Choose your favored search engine from the list and click Set as default on lower right corner of the window. Remember, you cannot remove default search provider.
3. Next, to remove Giant Savings from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If 'Giant Savings' is not present, it might be using unusual title or name as mentioned above.
4. You may now close the current window and keep Internet Explorer browser open.
5. Once again, go to Tools > Internet Options. It opens up a configuration box of IE. Make sure that you are in General tab.
6. Under Home Page section, change the entry if it is currently set to use Giant Savings relevant home page. Input your preferred URL, which will be set as default home page.
7. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Directions to Remove Giant Savings from Mozilla Firefox
1. Run Mozilla Firefox browser.
2. Type the given string in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:addons
3. Go to left panel and click Extensions. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Look for Giant Savings extension. If you cannot find it, locate associated objects such as stated above. Uninstall the unwanted extension by clicking on the Remove button.
5. Close the Add-ons Manager tab.
(Optional) Restore Mozilla Firefox's Home Page and Default Search Engine
These procedures are intended to fix problems on home page and default search engine. If said areas are not affected by Giant Savings, you can ignore this section and proceed to the next step.
1. Back on Mozilla Firefox main page, type the provided strings in the address bar and press Enter on keyboard: about:preferences
2. Go to left panel or left sidebar and click Search. Under Search window, choose a valid Default Search Engine. Please remain on this window.
3. Scroll down to the lists of search engines. Select unwanted item and click on Remove button to get rid of search engine that is relevant to Giant Savings.
4. To remove Giant Savings from your home page, replace it by selecting General in the sidebar.
5. Under Startup section, make sure that "When my Firefox starts" is set to Show my home page.
6. Then, on Home Page field, type your desired home page URL. You can also click on Restore to Default button to set Firefox Start Page as your home page.
7. Back on Mozilla Firefox main page, type this command in the address bar and press Enter on your keyboard: about:config
8. Firefox will display a warning stating "This might void your warranty!" Please click on "I'll be careful, I promise!" button.
9. In the search box, type the name of search hijacker. This will show a list of Preference that was modified by Giant Savings.
10. Right-click on suspicious Preference Name, and then, select Reset from drop-down list to restore the original setting. Repeat this process to all affected entries.
11. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Guide to Remove Giant Savings from Microsoft Edge
1. Open Microsoft Edge browser.
2. Click on More Action button located on top right corner of the browser.
3. Click on Extensions from the Menu. It will open a window showing all installed extensions.
4. Right-click on Extension that belongs to Giant Savings, and then, click on Remove.
(Optional) Restore Microsoft Edge's Home Page and Default Search Engine
Presence of Giant Savings may not have an effect on home page and default search engine of Edge browser. If the browser is free from adware, please skip these procedures.
1. Run Microsoft Edge browser and click on More Action to show the Menu. Then, select Settings.
2. Scroll down to 'Open with' section, and select 'A specific page or pages'. Then, select Custom.
3. Enter the web address of preferred start page. Next, click on the + sign to add the web address. If Giant Savings is listed as one of the start page, click X beside the URL to remove it from the browser. See image above for reference.
4. Back at Microsoft Edge Settings page.
5 .Click on View advance settings button.
6. Scroll down to 'Search in the address bar with' section. Then, click on Change button.
7. It will present list of installed search engine, Bing is the deafault search engine for Edge. You can choose other valid search engine but not Giant Savings. To save your pick, click on Set as default button.
8. Lastly, remove Giant Savings from the list. You may now restart Microsoft Edge browser.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove Giant Savings, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just Giant Savings.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup-sfx.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and install the tool.
4. Once installed, locate Avast Browser Cleanup icon and double-click to Run.
5. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
6. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by Giant Savings and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
7. Next, you will receive a prompt if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
8. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent Giant Savings From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.
Install an effective anti-malware program
Your first line of defense would be an effective security program that provides real-time protection. We have a list of anti-malware program that are tried and tested. It does not only scan files but also monitors your Internet traffic and is extremely active on blocking malicious communication. Click on the button below to download our recommended anti-malware program.
Always update your installed software
Software vendors constantly releases updates for programs whenever a flaw is discovered. Getting the updates makes the computer more secured and help prevents Trojan, virus, malware, and Giant Savings similar attacks. If in case your program is not set for instant update, it usually offered from vendor's web site, which you can download anytime.
Maximize the security potential of your Internet browser
Each browser has their own feature where in you can adjust the security settings that fit your browsing habit. We highly encourage you to maximize the setup to tighten the security of your browser.
Apply full caution when using the Internet
Internet is full of fraud, malware, and many forms of computer threats. Implement full caution with links that you may receive from emails, social networking sites, and instant messaging programs. It might lead you to malicious sites that can cause harm to your computer. Avoid strange web sites that offers free services and software downloads.