How to remove WebCake Ads
Removing WebCake from Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox can be accomplished by deleting the add-on from affected browser program. Similarly, you can uninstall the software from Windows add/remove utility. For full removal procedure, please see the section on this page.
WebCake is an adware that assumes to bring online shoppers more choices of wanted products. This tool can reveal itself once you are browsing shopping sites. So far this tool offers various options to enhance your shopping experience. It has function like WebCake Compare, Deals, Inline, Related, Review, and Search. It could be a great tool if not for its invasive technique to enter the computer, which makes some computer users irritated. To be fair, this program will only override setting if permitted by user. Options to install the add-on and set home page to use the WebCake Search is presented during installation process.
Free tools and programs from various web sites is the most common source of WebCake adware. It comes bundled to software that you may download from various sources. On some cases, user may acquire this adware via promotion and endorsement that the company is utilizing online. Presence of WebCake affects only browser and not the whole system. Its main goal is to publish relevant ads that closely matches what user is searching online. Here are some of the functions this program has to offer.
During your visit to online shopping and brand web sites, WebCake Compare works in the background to gather data for each item and find other offers online. Instantly, it gives you other choices without having to visit each web site offering the product.
The main function of WebCake Deals is to pop-up coupon ads while you are shopping online. From its huge database of offers, savings, and discount, WebCake Deals will suggest the best quality and best prices for your needs. This ad will first appear as “See Similar” button. Clicking on that reveals an ad block titled “WebCake shot at first sight.” See image below.
Inline WebCake Ads
WebCake underlined text on web page you are browsing will show banner ads when clicked. Be advised that these inline ads are not in any way affiliated to the web site you are viewing. Same with the other features, this ad block will offer only what is relevant to what you are looking for.
WebCake Related Searches
Searching for desired products and service on the web made simple by WebCake Related Searches. It will display relevant items using advanced algorithm built with the add-on. Related Searches will appear on upper right corner of the browser showing deals, offers, reviews, news, and coupons that closely match your query.
WebCake Removal Procedures
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove WebCake
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by WebCake. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of WebCake using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions as outlined below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified modules linked to WebCake.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall WebCake from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed WebCake from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name WebCake and click on Uninstall/Change. If WebCake is not present, try to look and remove items with the following names: getwebcake.com
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of WebCake.
Step 3 : Remove the WebCake Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove WebCake from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If WebCake is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like getwebcake.com.
5. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench or Three-bars icon on top-left portion of the browser. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by WebCake. Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant WebCake extensions like getwebcake.com.
5. You may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the WebCake extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as getwebcake.com. Click the Remove buttom to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. Back at the Firefox browser, go to the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
7. Type WebCake in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by WebCake. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If WebCake is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like getwebcake.com.
8. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove WebCake, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just WebCake.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by WebCake and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent WebCake From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.