Remove ‘Ads by BetterSurf’
Stop ‘Ads by BetterSurf’ from showing up on the browser by deleting relevant add-on and extension. Scanning the computer with tools listed on this page also helps automatically remove BetterSurf adware.
BetterSurf is an advertising platform that is utilized by various vendors to display their banners on various web sites. Although, some computer users disclosed that Ads by BetterSurf pop-ups on the computer and bothers their browsing. Some even insists seeing add-on or extensions from this adware, claiming they have no reasons for installing it. It just appears on the browser without their knowledge. Thus, some people deemed ‘Ads by BetterSurf’ as virus infection.
Normally, adware like BetterSurf will get installed on the computer through third-party software. It is packed to free software for quick distribution. This is the reason why most users are not aware of its installation. Although, there is a way not to include Ads by BetterSurf by running a custom install process when loading free programs. You must know that ‘Express Install’ process of freeware loads all codes inside the package that may include unwanted programs, adware, and tool.
With the presence of Ads by BetterSurf, your Internet connection may get slower. Adware has the tendency to communicate to its own server and download ads to be shown on your screen. Furthermore, Ads by BetterSurf can record all activities on your computer that is relevant to your browsing habit, keyword searches, and web site you frequently visited.
It is highly suggest removing BetterSurf adware right aware. It causes nothing but annoyances when not deleted from the computer. Follow the guide on this page to execute effective removal process for this adware.
BetterSurf Removal Procedures
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove BetterSurf
We provide a link to the best free anti-malware software, so that you can download and try it worry free. Running an anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by this particular malware. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix the existing problems on your pc and Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Firefox. But since this is the easiest method you should definitely try it first.
If you try this method and it does not get rid of BetterSurf, please check the manual removal instructions as outlined below. Another option is to try restoring Windows to a previous state prior to the infection.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool (malwarebytes). Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, navigate to where the program is saved and install it using the default configuration. If you had to use a USB drive, insert it into the infected computer and install. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database. If you don't have internet access due to the virus, please try running your computer in safe mode with networking, and update the program.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified modules linked to BetterSurf.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows, go ahead and do this in order to fully get rid of the program.
Step 2 : Uninstall BetterSurf from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed the malware from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from your particular internet browser.
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below based on your operating system.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Go to Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. The window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, go to 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for anything with BetterSurf and go to Uninstall/Change. If BetterSurf is not present, try to look and remove items with the following names: Software Version Updater, SVWUpdated, BetterSurf 1.0
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of BetterSurf.
Step 3 : Remove the BetterSurf Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Remove BetterSurf from Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove the malware from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If BetterSurf is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Software Version Updater, SVWUpdated, BetterSurf 1.0.
5. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Remove BetterSurf from Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench or Three-bars icon on top-left portion of the browser. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. With basic installation, Google Chrome will install itself originally with no extensions, so this space would be empty unless you manually installed some add-ons. Remove any unwanted entries related to this virus.
5. You may now restart Google Chrome.
Remove BetterSurf from Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the BetterSurf extension. If it does not exist, find any items that may be related to the malware with a similar name (sometimes the names may vary). Click the Remove buttom to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. Back at the Firefox browser, go to the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
7. Type BetterSurf in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by BetterSurf. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If BetterSurf is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different but similar name.
8. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove BetterSurf, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just BetterSurf. Please only do this if you are ok with returning your internet browser to its original default settings, it will undo any customization you have done.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with a poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by BetterSurf and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent malware and adware From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. The Suggested tools and security setup within installed software will help prevent the same attack on your PC in the future.
Install an effective anti-malware programYour first line of defense would be an effective security program that provides real-time protection. We have a list of anti-malware program that are tried and tested. It does not only scan files but also monitors your Internet traffic and is extremely active on blocking malicious communication. Click on the button below to download our recommended anti-malware program (malwarebytes antimalware).
Always update your installed softwareSoftware vendors constantly release updates for programs whenever a new flaw is discovered. Getting the updates will make your computer more secure and help prevents Trojan, virus, malware, and unwanted software similar to BetterSurf. If in case your program is not set for instant update, it is usually offered from vendor's web site, which you can download anytime.
Update Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Mozilla FirefoxYour internet browser is one of the most used pieces of software on your computer and it is your gateway to the online world. This is your first line of defense against malware or viruses. It's important to remember to update these programs when it is suggested this will protect you from having to remove BetterSurf and similar programs in the first place.
Each of these programs has it's own auto-update and it should update itself as long as you allow it to when it prompts you.
Google chrome will show you that it needs updated by changing the color of the three bars icon in the top right corner of the browser. If the color of the bars changes to green, orange or red it means that your software needs updated, click the google chrome menu button, select "update google chrome" and follow the dialog boxes that appear. Reset chrome when finished. This should remove the coloring and the settings button will return to normal
Windows Internet Explorer should automatically update itself through your operating system if you're using "windows". This will go on behind the scenes, you'll notice sometimes windows requests permission to install new updates, during the installation of these new updates it will update the current version of Explorer if there is a newer version.
Updating Firefox is simple as well. Click the menu bottom and select "about firefox". The window will open and Firefox will automatically begin checking if it is the most up to date version available. When the updates are ready you simply click the "Restart to Update" button and Firefox will update itself and restart as well so you are then using the newest possible type of browser.