Computer users must be aware that malware authors are using deceptive method to entice the downloading of a malicious file pretending to be legitimate. For example, attackers may use Internet browser to pose security risk. One of this misleading tactic is the fake “Outdated Browser Detected” that may appear on the browser. So far, Firefox users are the ones who complain of constantly receiving the bogus warning with the following messages:
Outdated Browser Detected
You are currently using Firefox – which is now outdated. Please update the latest version of Firefox (Recommended).
It is recommended that you update your browser to the latest version to view this page. Please update to continue.
Once you fall into this trick, it will redirect your Internet browser to a download web site where several types of adware will be dropped onto your computer. Some of the mentioned malicious program that you may get from this fake update includes Delta Search, Webcake, Optimizer Pro, QuickShare and so on. You will also notice constant pop-up of advertisements from ‘Unlimited Cloud Storage’ that promotes certain worthless backup solution.
If you keep on receiving alert “Outdated Browser Detected”, it only means that adware is present on the computer. You must scan the computer with anti-virus and anti-malware program to delete the offender at once. See the complete guide on this page.
"Outdated Browser Detected" Removal Procedures
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove "Outdated Browser Detected"
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by "Outdated Browser Detected". However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of "Outdated Browser Detected" using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions as outlined below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified modules linked to "Outdated Browser Detected".
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall "Outdated Browser Detected" from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed "Outdated Browser Detected" from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name "Outdated Browser Detected" and click on Uninstall/Change. If it is not present, try to look and remove entries such as Delta, Webcake, Optimum Installer.
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of "Outdated Browser Detected".
Step 3 : Remove the "Outdated Browser Detected" Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove "Outdated Browser Detected" from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If "Outdated Browser Detected" is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Delta, Webcake, Optimum Installer.
5. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench or Three-bars icon on top-left portion of the browser. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by "Outdated Browser Detected". Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant extensions already mentioned above.
5. You may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the "Outdated Browser Detected" extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as already mentioned above. Click the Remove button to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. Back at the Firefox browser, go to the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
7. Type "Outdated Browser Detected" in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by "Outdated Browser Detected". Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If "Outdated Browser Detected" is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like Delta, Webcake, Optimum Installer.
8. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove "Outdated Browser Detected", this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just "Outdated Browser Detected".
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by "Outdated Browser Detected" and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent "Outdated Browser Detected" From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.