Remove KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar
KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar is a program that was made using a dreaded Conduit platform. This toolbar gives user easy access to online services like Radio, Maps, Weather, World Clock, Social Networks, Coupons, and many other features. KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar is usually added to known Internet browsers like Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. This toolbar also offers instant search that is promoted as fast and efficient.
With the name of KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar, it seems that its only focus was to integrate a toolbar into the browser. However, things seem differently and this adware is somehow invasive. It also replaces your default home page with search box from search.conduit.com. This one catches the eye of security vendors due to its production of malicious links in the results.
The toolbar alone is not harmful. As mentioned, it provides various shortcuts to known services. However, using the search from KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar will result to exhibit of ads that may send your browser to harmful web sites. It is clear that company behind this program tend to earn money by publishing advertisements through offered features.
Aside from the mentioned, be aware that KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar is using Internet cookies and other monitoring codes to track your browsing habit. Data gathered from this process will be used to enhance marketing strategy of affiliated products.
We highly suggest removing KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar and search.conduit.com from your browser. Although they are not harmful as viruses and Trojans, adware may put your computer at risks. For a complete guide, please see the special section below.
KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar Removal Procedures
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions as outlined below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified modules linked to KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar and click on Uninstall/Change. If KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar is not present, try to look and remove items with the following names: Conduit, KeyBar 1.8 API, Customized Web Search
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar.
Step 3 : Remove the KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Conduit, KeyBar 1.8 API, Customized Web Search.
5. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench or Three-bars icon on top-left portion of the browser. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar. Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar extensions like Conduit, KeyBar 1.8 API, Customized Web Search.
5. You may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as Conduit, KeyBar 1.8 API, Customized Web Search. Click the Remove buttom to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. Back at the Firefox browser, go to the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
7. Type KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like Conduit, KeyBar 1.8 API, Customized Web Search.
8. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent KeyBar 1.8 Toolbar From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.