Oriveg is an ad-supported program. It professes to assist computer users to download and install various programs via its own resources – Oriveg Downloader. It offers highly optimized and faster download that will result to successful installation of programs. Oriveg solution is offered to both distributor and software maker. In the end, both will have monetary benefit from this adware at the expense of computer users.
To be exact, Oriveg is focusing on software distribution. Some adware are spread using this network. Several software including variants called Qroficce and Sprintfair, are packed and deploy on this network platforms. In usual adware operation, Oriveg receives payment from these services. Expect that more and more copies of the same adware with varying title to emerge soon.
If Oriveg or any relevant adware comes into the system, it targets the main browser Safari. We are still uncertain if it will have same effect on Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Firefox. Aside from malicious object, Oriveg also adds unauthorized browser hijacker with web address Search.Oriveg.com. It is utilizing some legitimate search engine but coded to display advertisements provided by Oriveg.
By using invasive technique, this adware gets into the system just how computer virus does. For this reason, security authority dubbed Oriveg as potentially unwanted program (PUP). Removal of this adware is highly recommended to avoid further infection.
Below, we have provided complete procedures to remove Oriveg from OS X and Safari. We offer free and efficient tool that you can use to find and delete the adware instantly.
Oriveg Removal Procedures
Below are several steps that you should carry out to delete Oriveg adware from Mac computer. We highly recommend executing both manual removal and thorough scanning of the system using the provided tool.
Delete Oriveg from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose “Preferences“.
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select “Extensions” tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select Oriveg from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside “Enable Oriveg extension” or similar entry. You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next steps.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on “Go“. Then, select “Go to Folder“.
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. Oriveg.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu, click Go, and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of Oriveg to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of Oriveg
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select “Open” from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the “Scan” button to start checking the computer for presence of Oriveg and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on “Remove Selected Items” to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing Oriveg. Your computer should now be malware free.