“Search Assist” hyperlink and pop-up ads are part of adware activities that can take over the computer during the presence of malicious browser add-on or extension. This type of adware is usually bundled with programs you have downloaded from the Internet. Also, your click to malicious link can lead to the infection of “Search Assist” and other types of adware.
In the event that “Search Assist” is installed on the computer, it makes changes to the browser right aware. It installs browser add-on, extension, or plug-in depending on the affected program. In some instances, “Search Assist” runs as browser helper object so add-on will not be present on the settings of the browser program.
“Search Assist” presence is very visible on the computer. You will observe extra hyperlink that when clicked will display pop-up ads of the endorse web site or product. You may also occasionally see banners labeled as ‘Ads by “Search Assist”’. Some people deemed that having “Search Assist” hyperlinks is due to the web sites application of the advertising scheme. It is not, it is browsers code that have injected into the browser which makes the “Search Assist” hyperlink to appear.
In case you cannot fully remove “Search Assist” adware from the computer, you may perform the guide on this page. Scanning the computer with tools suggested here helps find and delete hidden entities of “Search Assist”.
"Search Assist" Removal Procedures
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove "Search Assist"
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by "Search Assist". However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of "Search Assist" using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions as outlined below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified modules linked to "Search Assist".
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall "Search Assist" from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed "Search Assist" from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name "Search Assist" and click on Uninstall/Change. If it is not present, try to look and remove entries such as Sendori.
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of "Search Assist".
Step 3 : Remove the "Search Assist" Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove "Search Assist" from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If "Search Assist" is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Sendori.
5. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench or Three-bars icon on top-left portion of the browser. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by "Search Assist". Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant extensions already mentioned above.
5. You may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the "Search Assist" extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as already mentioned above. Click the Remove button to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. Back at the Firefox browser, go to the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
7. Type "Search Assist" in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by "Search Assist". Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If "Search Assist" is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like Sendori.
8. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove "Search Assist", this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just "Search Assist".
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by "Search Assist" and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent "Search Assist" From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.