Remove Utility Chest Toolbar
Remove Utility Chest Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer by executing the instructions on this page. Run a scan of suggested tool to get rid of other components that are hidden inside the computer.
Utility Chest Toolbar is categorized as adware due to its alliance with known malicious search engine known to many as MyWebSearch. Both will get installed on the computer by downloading and installing free programs from various hosts. Additionally, user’s browser may be redirected to UtilityChest.com web site where-in they will be convinced to download and install the program. Other way to deploy this adware is through the use of online advertising company.
Once Utility Chest Toolbar is installed, it comes with other unwanted tools that also get installed on the browser. By the way, this adware is effective only on Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox. Google Chrome users are lucky enough not being a target of Utility Chest Toolbar.
Aside from toolbar, the adware may also replace the home page with a predefined search engine. This takes control of all your web search and often redirects the browser to unknown web pages. Utility Chest Toolbar comes with an uninstall button right at the bar itself. However, that is not sufficient to remove all other components it has installed on the PC.
To complete the removal method, please follow the instructions on this page. This will help you remove other adware on the computer that is bundled with Utility Chest Toolbar. Run all recommended tools and security scanners to make sure that all malicious entries will be deleted from the computer.
Utility Chest Toolbar Removal Procedure
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove Utility Chest Toolbar
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by Utility Chest Toolbar. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of Utility Chest Toolbar using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions below as outlined below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified threats.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall Utility Chest Toolbar from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed Utility Chest Toolbar from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Go to Start > Control Panel.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on ‘Uninstall a program’ under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name‘Utility Chest Toolbar’ and click on Uninstall/Change.
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal Utility Chest Toolbar.
Step 3 : Remove the Utility Chest Toolbar Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove Utility Chest Toolbar from this list, simply highlight it and click on Disable button. Other items you need to delete are 49bar.dll, Search Assistant BHO, and Toolbar BHO.
Next, click Search Providers on the left pane. We will need to remove the unknown search engine. On the right window, select and remove My Web Search and Ask Search. Please see image below for your reference.
6. You may now close the current window and remain Internet Explorer browser open.
7. Navigate to Tools > Internet Options. It opens up a configuration box of IE. Make sure that you are in General tab.
8. On Home Page area, replace the entry if it currently set to mywebsearch.com. Type a line of your preferred web address to which your browser will open. This will be your default home page address.
9. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the Utility Chest Toolbar add-on and click the Remove button. Alternatively, you can click on Disable to stop the adware from appearing in your browser.
Click on Plugins on the left pane. L:ocate and disable Mindspark Toolbar Platform Plugin Stub as shown in the image below.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window. Please remain in the browser; we still need to perform the final process.
6. In the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on ‘I’ll be careful, I promise!’ if it displays a warning “This might void your warranty!”
13. Type Utility Chest in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by the adware. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
Next, search for the term mywebsearch. Firefox configuration will provide a list of items related to MyWebSearch. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
14. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the all the previous instructions failed to remove Utility Chest Toolbar, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just Utility Chest Toolbar.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleaup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive “security warning” from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by Utility Chest Toolbar and click on Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser.
5. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
6. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleaup will display a message “Browser settings have been successfully reset” after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Alternative Removal Method for Remove Utility Chest Toolbar
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Remove Utility Chest Toolbar enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Remove Utility Chest Toolbar infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.