Wharkike is a program that claims to help computer users to download and install certain software quickly using its own downloader tool. This tool is presented to be highly optimized that will result to faster download and successful installation or software. Wharkike solution is offered to both distributor and software maker. In the end, both will have monetary benefit from this adware at the expense of computer users.
Wharkike is at the center of software distribution. Some Mac OS X adware are deployed via this network. Several software including variants as Epolife, Kuklorest, and Lexside are bundled and spread on this network platforms. In usual adware operation, Wharkike receives payment from these services. Expect that more and more copies of the same adware with varying title to emerge soon.
When Wharkike or any similar threats enter the computer, it targets widely used browser for Mac such as Safari and Chrome. There are still no reports if this adware have an effect on Internet Explorer and Firefox. Apart for dropping dubious items, Wharkike also adds suspicious search tool using services from Search.wharkike.com. It may be utilizing legitimate search engine but with the touch of Genieo malware.
By using invasive method to gain computer access, this adware is comparable to computer virus. Thus, security authority classed Wharkike as potentially unwanted program (PUP). Removal of this adware is highly recommended to avoid further infection.
Below, we have provided complete procedures to remove Wharkike from OS X and Safari. We offer free and efficient tool that you can use to find and delete the adware instantly.
Wharkike Removal Procedures
Below are several steps that you should carry out to delete Wharkike adware from Mac computer. We highly recommend executing both manual removal and thorough scanning of the system using the provided tool.
Delete Wharkike from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose “Preferences“.
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select “Extensions” tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select Wharkike from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside “Enable Wharkike extension” or similar entry. You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next steps.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on “Go“. Then, select “Go to Folder“.
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. Wharkike.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu, click Go, and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of Wharkike to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of Wharkike
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select “Open” from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the “Scan” button to start checking the computer for presence of Wharkike and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on “Remove Selected Items” to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing Wharkike. Your computer should now be malware free.