MetaCrawler Search is a service that may hijack the home page of affected Internet browser.
MetaCrawler Search is another browser redirect adware that intends to replace your current home page with its own search box. This hijacker can cause Internet browser to start on unknown web page like metacrawler.com or sub domain called fantastigames.metacrawler.com.
There are number of reasons how this unpopular search may get inside the computer. One factor is user’s engagement to multimedia software that can be downloaded from less-known web sites. MetaCrawler Search may also come bundled with games and PC utilities offered by third-party providers. Typically, authors behind this adware repacked the executable file to include MetaCrawler Search during installation. Then, it is distributed through misleading ads and deceiving marketing techniques.
Once user installs the desired program, MetaCrawler Search is also installed by default. However, removal is a different process. Uninstalling the program will not remove MetaCrawler Search. They function separately once installed on the computer. In fact, MetaCrawler Search is even complicated to remove than the preferred program. It is also noticed that it may use various names for add-ons and extensions once it strikes your Internet browser.
For this reason, we have decided to post a detailed removal procedure for MetaCrawler Search. After removing the adware, it is also important that you apply all precautionary measures as suggested on this page.
Screenshot Image of MetaCrawler Search
MetaCrawler Search Removal Procedures
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove MetaCrawler Search
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by MetaCrawler Search. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of MetaCrawler Search using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified threats.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall MetaCrawler Search from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed MetaCrawler Search from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Go to Start > Control Panel.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name 'MetaCrawler Search' and click on Uninstall/Change. If 'MetaCrawler Search' is not present, try to look and remove items with the following names: FantastiGames, InfoSpace, and Blucora
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal MetaCrawler Search.
Step 3 : Remove the MetaCrawler Search Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Search Providers on left side of the window.
4. Choose your desired search box and click Set as default on lower right corner of the window. Remember, you cannot remove a search provider currently set to default.
5. Then, to remove MetaCrawler Search from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If 'MetaCrawler Search' is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like FantastiGames, InfoSpace, and Blucora.
6. You may now close the current window and remain Internet Explorer browser open.
7. Navigate to Tools > Internet Options. It opens up a configuration box of IE. Make sure that you are in General tab.
8. On Home Page area, replace the entry if it currently set to MetaCrawler Search. Type a line of your preferred web address to which your browser will open. This will be your default home page address.
9. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench icon on top. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by MetaCrawler Search. Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant MetaCrawler Search extensions like FantastiGames, InfoSpace, and Blucora.
5. Next, you need to reset the default home page of Google Chrome and remove MetaCrawler Search tab during start-up. To do this, click on Settings on left side panel.
6. Go to the area 'On startup' and select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'. Click on Set pages link to remove unwanted home page entry and set your preferred default web address.
7. Type your desired home page address on the field 'Enter Url...' and press Enter on your keyboard.
8. To remove MetaCrawler Search from the list, simply hover your mouse to the web address and click X on right most of the entry.
9. Click OK to save the settings and you may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the MetaCrawler Search extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as FantastiGames, InfoSpace, and Blucora. Click the Remove buttom to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. While still on Firefox browser, go to the Google search located on top of the browser. Notice that the Google logo has small arrow icon pointing down. Click on the arrow to reveal all installed search engines. Click on Manage Search Engines.
7. On Manage Search Engine List box, you can now remove unwanted entries that are related to MetaCrawler Search. Click OK to save the settings.
8. Press OK to close the current window. We still need to do some modifications on Firefox settings so let the browser remains open.
9. Back at the Firefox browser, navigate to top menu and click on Tools > Options. It will display the configuration window of Firefox. At this point, it should open on the first tab, which is General.
10. If MetaCrawler Search have changed your default home page, you can input preferred URL to be your new setting. Simply type the complete web address in the box that is labeled Home Page. Please refer to attached image.
11. Click OK to save the current settings. Please remain in the browser; we still need to perform the final process.
12. In the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
13. Type MetaCrawler Search in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by MetaCrawler Search. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If 'MetaCrawler Search' is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like FantastiGames, InfoSpace, and Blucora.
14. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Prevent MetaCrawler Search From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.