search.findwide.com is a custom search engine and toolbar that is referred by many as part of an adware. It comes into your computer by means of programs that you will download from various servers. Installation of search.findwide.com is unnoticeable. Most of the time, user are not aware that they are loading this search box while installing the main program.
Once it is installed on the computer, the adware changed the default home page to search.findwide.com. It is a customized search similar to Google, Bing, or Yahoo. However, search results provided by this adware contains full of ads that can mislead user to visit advertiser’s web site. Additionally, findwide.com toolbar contains links and buttons for some popular web sites. It also have a small search box that gives same results when used.
Some security program dubbed it as adware because of the installation process, which do not seek for user’s approval. The program is not as harmful as computer viruses and will not have huge effect once installed. Its only concern is your Internet browser and the default search engine. It loads add-ons on the computer to control the home page, which can be removed easily.
For complete removal instructions, see the special section below. It is dedicated in removing search hijacker like search.findwide.com. After removing the add-on, it is important that you run a scan on the computer to make sure that no other data of the adware is left inside the computer.
search.findwide.com Removal Procedures
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove search.findwide.com
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by search.findwide.com. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of search.findwide.com using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions as outlined below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified modules linked to search.findwide.com.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall search.findwide.com from Windows Control Panel
You may skip these steps if the previous scan has successfully removed search.findwide.com from the computer. Though, if there is a need to carry out manual removal, please execute these steps and refer to guide below specifically created to remove the threat from particular browser.
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Look for a name search.findwide.com and click on Uninstall/Change. If it is not present, try to look and remove entries such as Findwide.
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of search.findwide.com.
Step 3 : Remove the search.findwide.com Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Toolbars and Extensions on left side of the window.
4. Then, to remove search.findwide.com from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If search.findwide.com is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Findwide.
5. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench or Three-bars icon on top-left portion of the browser. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by search.findwide.com. Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant extensions already mentioned above.
5. You may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the search.findwide.com extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as already mentioned above. Click the Remove button to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. Back at the Firefox browser, go to the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
7. Type search.findwide.com in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by search.findwide.com. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If search.findwide.com is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like Findwide.
8. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove search.findwide.com, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just search.findwide.com.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by search.findwide.com and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent search.findwide.com From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.