Search.useaget.com mainly targets Mac OS X system with Safari browser running. It is still unclear whether makers of this adware have created a version for PC. As of now, its goal is to gain control on Safari browser. Eventually, changes it has made can cause pop-up ads and Search.useaget.com is set to be the default home page.
In most instances, installation of adware bringing Search.useaget.com is unknown to computer users. This is due to technique called ‘bundling’. Repackings were made to valid programs, adding Search.useaget.com into it. As such, computer users are unaware that several adware are also loaded into the computer. This remains hidden until all are successfully installed.
Other ways to deploy Search.useaget.com is via browser redirect. Adware authors are using several maliciously coded web sites that will prompt visitors to download software update, which is actually bogus.
Similar to other versions called Search.siasta.com and Search.pingclash.com, this version of browser hijacker aims to gain online profit by issuing advertisements. Some endorsement may be useful, but still, there are downsides into this kind of online marketing schemes. Malware authors may take advantage of this scheme and use it to spread viruses. Therefore, we advised that you remove Search.useaget.com at once. There are proofs that search hijackers as Search.useaget.com has the ability to monitor you browsing activities and gather data that will put your privacy at risk.
Search.useaget.com Removal Procedures
The following instructions will guide you to get rid of Search.useaget.com. We highly advise that you fully execute the given procedure to completely remove the unwanted program from your Mac system.
Delete Search.useaget.com from Safari browser
1. Open Safari browser.
2. Go to Safari menu.
3. Choose “Preferences“.
4. This will open the Safari settings dialog box.
5. Please select “Extensions” tab to see list of installed extensions.
6. Select Search.useaget.com from the list. If not found, it may be hiding under a different name. Look for unknown or suspicious item.
7. Turn off the extension by removing the Check Mark on the box beside “Enable Search.useaget.com extension” or similar entry. You can also Uninstall the extension if you need to permanently remove it from the computer.
8. Please close Safari browser at the moment and proceed to the next steps.
Manually delete all files dropped by the adware
1. Navigate the Apple Menu bar and click on “Go“. Then, select “Go to Folder“.
2. Copy and paste, or type the following line in the field and press Enter on your keyboard:
3. LaunchAgents folder should open at this point. Look for items with the following file name:
- .com. Search.useaget.com.agent.plist
4. Move each file to the Trash. This action may require administrator privilege. If you are not logged in as administrator, you need to provide required password.
5. Go to a different folder again using procedure from Step 1 and copy and paste or type the following line:
6. Do the same process as in Step 3 and move each file to the Trash.
7. Next, we need to look at Application Support folder. Using the same method as above. Go to this location:
8. Find the same files as in Step 3 and drag them to the Trash.
9. Go back to Apple Menu, click Go, and then select Applications from the drop-down list.
10. Delete the following folders just in case they do exist.
Note: Malware may use alternative names instead of Search.useaget.com to mislead security programs as well as users. If in case the above list is not present, please look for unfamiliar or suspicious items containing the same extension as update.plist, ltvbit.plist, and download.plist.
Scan with MBAM to easily get rid of Search.useaget.com
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac from the link below.
2. Drag the downloaded file MBAM-Mac-[version].dmg to Applications folder.
3. Under Applications folder, right-click on Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and select “Open” from the given choices.
4. After opening the tool, click on the “Scan” button to start checking the computer for presence of Search.useaget.com and other malware.
5. When scanning is done, the tool will display all identified threats. Be sure to select malicious items.
6. Click on “Remove Selected Items” to delete the threats.
We hope that the procedures and removal tool on this page was able to help you in removing Search.useaget.com. Your computer should now be malware free.
Reset Safari Homepage and Search Engine
1. Open Safari Browser.
2. Choose Preferences from the Safari menu that can be found on upper left corner of the browser.
3. Select General tab, and then look for Homepage section.
4. Replace Search.useaget.com with your preferred default Homepage.
5. On the same Tab, go to Default Search Engine section.
6. Replace the current entry with you preferred search engine.