Snap.do Search and Toolbar
This page contains removal procedure and tools to uninstall Snap.do Search and Toolbar from the computer. Removing the program where Snap.do originated is not enough to delete all components it has loaded into the computer.
Snap.do Search and Toolbar is web tool that you may obtain by downloading programs from unknown sources. The company that created this web is Resoft. It is promoted as an ideal tool to simplify the web, giving you the best way to share, search, work and play. All in a snap.do approach.
Many computer users mistakenly identify Snap.do as a computer virus. Well, it is not. If you found it on the computer, it simply means that it comes bundled with other program you have installed. Snap.do is loaded into the computer with your permission. You may have missed the part of excluding this tool while installing a program you downloaded. We are certain that every software you download that contains third party software such as Snap.do, will prompt you whether you wanted to include it in the install process.
Once the subject is installed, you will notice that your home page will show a custom search box that have a search.snap.do address. This search engine functions similarly just as any other brand. It may display advertisements on top of the search result, which to some are unwelcome. Also, your browser may show Snap.do Toolbar that contains buttons for social networks, emails, images, and so on.
With the addition of Snap.do Search and Snap.do Toolbar, the affected browser may not perform as efficient as before. Some people take this situation to consider the program as a virus or some sort of malware. Thus, they seek instant and quick removal of Snap.do from security web sites.
Image above and below shows the custom search from search.snap.do. This browser hijacker will alter your home page and control your default search engine. The first image is search.snap.do version of 2013 while the other image is from the old design.
Below is the screenshot image of Snap.do toolbar. As you can see, it contains button links for various sites and services.
Snap.do Removal Procedures
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Run Anti-Malware Program to Automatically Remove Snap.do
Running anti-malware scan on the affected computer can instantly remove components installed by Snap.do. However, there is no guarantee that this will check and fix existing problems on all Internet browsers.
If you did not get rid of Snap.do using this virus scan, please check the manual removal instructions below. Restoring Windows to previous state prior to the infection may also be the solution.
1. Click on the button to start downloading our recommended anti-malware tool. Save it to an accessible location inside your hard drive or clean USB drive if you are downloading from a different PC.
2. Once the download completes, install the tool using the default configuration. You do not need to change any settings while running the installation procedure.
3. Update the program when installation completes. Typically, this is an automated process, so, Internet connection is required in order to download necessary database.
4. Run a complete scan of the affected computer and remove all identified threats.
5. To finalized the removal process, the program prompts to restart Windows.
Step 2 : Uninstall Snap.do from Windows Control Panel
1. Open Control Panel using instructions below base on your operating system.
Opening Control Panel - Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 Instructions
Click on Start > Control Panel. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
Accessing Control Panel - Windows 8 Instructions
a) Hover your mouse on lower-left corner of the screen and wait for the icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon to display list of accessible programs.
c) Select Control Panel from the list. Window should open where you can adjust your computer settings.
2. When Control Panel window appears, click on 'Uninstall a program' under Programs area.
3. Your display now shows a screen to uninstall or change a program. Now, try to look and remove items with the following names: Snap.do, Resoft, Smartbar
If the given name is not present, the next trick is to uninstall newly loaded programs. To do this, arrange listed programs in chronological order. Click on 'Installed On' to see programs recently installed. Removing unfamiliar software may also help solve the issue. After selecting the program, click on Uninstall button and proceed to the next step. See image below for reference.
4. On the next prompt, you need to confirm the uninstall process.
5. Click OK to proceed with the removal of Snap.do or any relevant software.
Step 3 : Remove the Snap.do Add-ons and Extensions from your browser
Internet Explorer Instructions
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. Next, select Manage add-ons from the list. A window where in you can manage Internet Explorer add-ons will open.
3. Click Search Providers on left side of the window.
4. Choose your desired search box and click Set as default on lower right corner of the window. Remember, you cannot remove a search provider currently set to default.
5. Then, to remove Snap.do from this list, simply highlight it and click on Remove button. If 'Snap.do' is not present, it might be using a different name. Find and delete related entries like Snap.do, Resoft, Smartbar.
6. You may now close the current window and remain Internet Explorer browser open.
7. Navigate to Tools > Internet Options. It opens up a configuration box of IE. Make sure that you are in General tab.
8. On Home Page area, replace the entry if it currently set to Snap.do. Type a line of your preferred web address to which your browser will open. This will be your default home page address.
9. Click OK to save the settings and restart Internet Explorer.
Google Chrome Procedure
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. Locate and click the Wrench icon on top. Then, select Settings from the list.
3. Once it opens a window, click on the Extensions located on left side panel.
4. Usually, Google Chrome has empty Extension, unless if you install base on your preference. Also on this area, you can find the item provided by Snap.do. Remove the unwanted entry. If in case it is not present, you need to find and remove relevant Snap.do extensions like Snap.do, Resoft, Smartbar.
5. Next, you need to reset the default home page of Google Chrome and remove Snap.do tab during start-up. To do this, click on Settings on left side panel.
6. Go to the area 'On startup' and select 'Open a specific page or set of pages'. Click on Set pages link to remove unwanted home page entry and set your preferred default web address.
7. Type your desired home page address on the field 'Enter Url...' and press Enter on your keyboard.
8. To remove Snap.do from the list, simply hover your mouse to the web address and click X on right most of the entry.
9. Click OK to save the settings and you may now restart Google Chrome.
Mozilla Firefox Direction
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox.
2. Navigate to top menu and click on Tools. It will display a drop-down list; please select Add-ons to open the configuration window.
3. Click Extensions on the left panel. This will show a list of installed extensions.
4. Find the Snap.do extension. If it does not exist, find related items such as Snap.do, Resoft, Smartbar. Click the Remove buttom to uninstall it.
5. Click on the X of Add-ons Manager tab to close the current window.
6. While still on Firefox browser, go to the Google search located on top of the browser. Notice that the Google logo has small arrow icon pointing down. Click on the arrow to reveal all installed search engines. Click on Manage Search Engines.
7. On Manage Search Engine List box, you can now remove unwanted entries that are related to Snap.do. Click OK to save the settings.
8. Press OK to close the current window. We still need to do some modifications on Firefox settings so let the browser remains open.
9. Back at the Firefox browser, navigate to top menu and click on Tools > Options. It will display the configuration window of Firefox. At this point, it should open on the first tab, which is General.
10. If Snap.do have changed your default home page, you can input preferred URL to be your new setting. Simply type the complete web address in the box that is labeled Home Page. Please refer to attached image.
11. Click OK to save the current settings. Please remain in the browser; we still need to perform the final process.
12. In the address bar, type about:config. Next, click on 'I'll be careful, I promise!' if it displays a warning "This might void your warranty!"
13. Type Snap.do in the search box. You will see all items that were modified by Snap.do. Right-click on the modified preference and click on Reset to restore the original setting. Repeat the process on all affected entries.
If 'Snap.do' is not present, try to look for a related entry. It may use a different name like Snap.do, Resoft, Smartbar.
14. You may now close the window and restart Mozilla Firefox.
Step 4 : Optional Browser Cleanup
If the previous instructions failed to remove Snap.do, this procedure will help you reset browser settings to default value. The process quickly removes adware and other malicious components from your browser.
NOTE: Please be aware that running this tool may also remove add-ons, extensions, or plug-in that you intentionally load on the browser, not just Snap.do.
1. Download Avast! Browser Cleanup by clicking on the button below.
2. Double-click on avast-browser-cleanup.exe to run the file.
3. If you receive "security warning" from Windows, just proceed and run the tool.
4. On initial run, the tool will check the browser for unwanted programs. If it finds any programs with poor reputation, it will prompt for instant removal. Please click "Remove all add-ons listed below and cleanup browser." After removing unwanted add-on, we're not yet done. You still have to continue to steps below in order to reset browser settings.
5. On Avast! Browser Cleanup interface, you will see popular browsers such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome. Select browser program that is affected by Snap.do and click on Reset browser settings to its default value.
6. Next, you will receive a prompts if you want to revert settings for the affected browser, just click Yes to proceed.
7. Lastly, Avast! Browser Cleanup will display a message "Browser settings have been successfully reset" after making the changes. Click on OK and restart the browser.
Prevent Snap.do From Ruining Your Computer
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.