LiveAntispy is a misleading security application that will disguise as legitimate program. Also known as Live Antispy 2.1 Security Center, this virus is expert in producing fake scan result to completely persuade users in obtaining the paid version of the software. This potentially unwanted application also displays excessive alert messages stating that PC is infected with Trojan, virus and malware. It is advertised through fake security web sites and bogus online virus scanner. LiveAntispy is categorically included in the lists of fake anti-virus programs, thus, it must be removed immediately to avoid further harm on the computer.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
LiveAntispy Removal Procedures
LiveAntispy REMOVAL TOOL:
Automatically remove LiveAntispy by scanning the system with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Please download, install and scan. If downloading is blocked by a virus, use a clean computer and save it to a Disc or USB drive and execute the removal on infected machine.
1. Unload any running LiveAntispy process by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard. This will open Task Manager. Look for the following process and click “End Process”:
2. If antivirus program Is installed, connect to Internet and update it to have the latest database and pattern files.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and clean/delete all infected files. See lists of LiveAntispy associated files below.
4. Edit Windows registry and delete malicious entries as stated below. [how to edit registry]
5. Close registry editor, changes will be save automatically.
6. Remove LiveAntispy start-up entry by going to Start > Run, type msconfig on the “Open” dialog box. System Configuration Utility will open. Go to Startup tab and uncheck the following Startup item(s):
7. Click on Apply and reboot the computer for changes to take effect.
Additional Useful Tool
Using Portable SuperAntiSpyware:
To thoroughly remove the virus, it is best to do a separate scan of another security program so that other infected files not detected by previous scan can be removed as well. Click here to download and run SAS Portable Scanner.
Technical Details and Additional Information:
If LiveAntispy is installed, a number of files are dropped on the system. Some may remain undetectable to some anti-virus applications. Rogue software will make themselves attached to compromised computer until the paid version is acquired. It will prevent automatic removal and do not provide entry on add/remove program of Windows.
Malicious Files Added by LiveAntispy
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\LiveAntispy.lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\LiveAntispy\LiveAntispy.lnk
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\LiveAntispy\Uninstall.lnk
LiveAntispy Registry Entries:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\”LiveAntispy” = “C:\Program Files\LiveAntispy\LiveAntispy.exe”
Alternative Removal Method for LiveAntispy
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If LiveAntispy enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before LiveAntispy infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.