Check Disk, also known as CheckDisk virus is another rogue Windows optimization utility that will be installed on the computer by deceptive pretences. It was developed primarily to scam computer users and steal money from their online transactions. This rogue software finds several options to persuade victims including fake alerts and fabricated scan results. Check Disk will often display fake warning on the PC and state several errors such as this:
Windows cannot find notepad.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
A critical error has occurred while indexing data stored on hard drive. System restart required.
After deceiving computer users, it will advise to resolve the issue by getting the paid version of Check Disk from their website. The program is not for free. Users need to pay a certain amount to have the registration key of Check Disk. Remember that this tool is rogue. It simply means that having the full version of it will not fix computer problems if there are any. In the first place, this malicious tool might be the only one causing troubles for your computer. This is the same reason why precisesecurity.com provides this information. We urge every computer users to avoid the rogue software.
Ignore and remove Check Disk virus as soon as you see any symptoms on PC. Otherwise, when installed, this useless application will connect to a remote server and pull down additional threats. It means more hard and troubles for victims like you. Use only legitimate anti-malware application to remove Check Disk and all of its associated malicious files.
Screen Shot Image:
How to Remove Check Disk
1. Stop Check Disk process by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard. It will open Windows Task Manager. Look for the following and click on End Process.
2. You need to update your installed antivirus software. Please connect to the Internet and download the most recent database. This is a one-click process from your AV program’s console.
3. Run a full system scan. You must clean all detected files. If cleaning is not possible, you may delete or quarantine the item.
4. Edit your Windows registry. Find and delete Check Disk entries as shown in the registry section. [how to edit registry]
5. Exit registry editor when you are done.
6. Remove Check Disk start-up entry by going to Start > Run. Type msconfig on the "Open" dialog box. System Configuration Utility will open. Go to Startup tab and remove the check mark on the following items.
7. Click Apply and restart Windows.
Check Disk Removal ToolIn order to remove the threat completely, you need to download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This is a free malware removal tool. If Trojan infection blocks the downloading of this program, get it using a clean computer. Rename the executable file before executing on the infected PC.
Online Virus ScannerAnother way to remove Check Disk virus without the need to buy extra anti-virus software is to do a system check thorough Online Virus Scanner. This tool is available on official web sites of several anti-virus maker.
Alternative Removal Method for Check Disk
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Check Disk enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Check Disk infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Check Disk manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Check Disk requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Check Disk.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Check Disk files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Check Disk.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:
File Location for Windows Versions:Added Registry Entries:
- %UserProfile% for Windows Vista/7 user is C:\Users\<Current User>; for Windows XP/2000 this is C:\Documents and Settings\<Current User>.
- %Temp% refers to C:\Windows\Temp\.