Security Hijack causes your web browser to redirect to unknown web site. To stop the browser redirect, you must first remove Security Hijack. Use the procedure on this page to get rid of the malware.
Security Hijack is a malicious file or code that is embedded on to the compromised system. This action will result to block users from visiting security web sites. It prevents victim’s access to some legitimate anti-virus web sites and instead browser will be redirected to a fake error page that promotes rogue security programs. Security Hijack also modifies Internet browser settings and registry entries to perform its illegal actions. The malware may also hijack search results with its own outcome that when clicked will bring user to malicious web address.
This type of malware may remain invisible to some anti-virus program due to its ability to inject its code on valid system processes so that only one copy is visible on the system. While the malware is running, it will produce fake notices and deceiving ploy. Moreover, Security Hijack will create some software add-ons and replaces the home page settings of your Internet browser. Most frequently, it may open a new browser window that will present an online virus scanning and offers a removal tool that you can only used after paying for the full version of the program.
An effective security tool removal can be found below this page. It can remove Security Hijack including all files and entries embedded into your computer. After installing, be sure that you will update the database so that the tool may catch even most recent versions of malware and viruses that exists on the PC.
Screenshot Image of Security Hijack:
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
How to Remove Security Hijack
Step 1 : Remove Security Hijack with this recommended tool
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Security Hijack. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Security Hijack, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove Security Hijack
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
9. Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
10. It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
11. Windows will now start in Safe Mode. It runs on minimal set of drivers so expect your desktop to load a low-resolution display.
12. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
13. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Security Hijack and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
14. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
15. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run Additional Scanner to Ensure that Security Hijack is Totally Deleted
To thoroughly remove Security Hijack, it is best to do a separate scan of another security program so that other infected files not detected from previous can be removed as well. Click here to start using SuperAntiSpyware Portable.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove a virus without the need to install additional anti-virus software is to perform a thorough scan with free Online Virus Scanner. Browse this page to see a list of free services from specific anti-virus and security company.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Security Hijack
Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Security Hijack drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent Security Hijack Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.