Vista Antivirus Pro
Vista Antivirus Pro or Vista Antivirus Pro 2010 is a fake computer security application made to disguise as legit software for Windows Vista platform. It can be obtained when a virus or Trojan that may cause user to visit harmful web page modifies an Internet browser setting. Internet browser will be redirected to a fake security web site that scans visitor’s computer and sends an alert about potential threats.
The fake online virus scanner web site proposes the acquisition of Vista Antivirus Pro activation key in order to remove infections it detected earlier. Employing this trick by rogue software developers has been successfully escalating the sales for this ineffective security product.
Remember that Vista Antivirus Pro is rogue. It has no capability to remove threats and protect computers from virus attack. Its installation files were not even sufficient and do not contain components to perform as what it claims to be. Instead of obtaining a Vista Antivirus Pro serial or registration key, you just need to remove it from your computer as soon as possible.
Technical Details and Additional Information:
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
Vista Antivirus Pro is a fake security program. It differs from typical virus and Trojans. While viruses and Trojans keep on spreading locally, Vista Antivirus Pro does not. The main avenue for its propagation is the Internet. Instant messaging applications, fraud web sites, spam emails and unsecured file-sharing networks is where user can obtain Vista Antivirus Pro.
Once Vista Antivirus Pro is installed, it will produce a number of fake alerts. It mimics Windows real alerts to deceive users even more. One sample fake security alert it may project will contain these messages:
Vista Antivirus Pro Firewall Alert!
Vista Antivirus Pro has blocked a program from accessing the Internet
Internet Explorer is infected with Trojan-BNK.Win32-Keylogger.gen
Private data can be stolen by third parties, including credit card details and passwords.
How to Remove Vista Antivirus Pro
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Vista Antivirus Pro
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove Vista Antivirus Pro without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Automatic Removal of Vista Antivirus ProIn order to completely remove the threat, click here to download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Sometimes, Trojans will block the downloading and installation of MBAM. If this happens, download it from a clean computer and rename the executable file before executing on the infected machine.
Alternative Removal Method for Vista Antivirus Pro
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Vista Antivirus Pro enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Vista Antivirus Pro infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Vista Antivirus Pro manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Vista Antivirus Pro requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Vista Antivirus Pro.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Vista Antivirus Pro files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Vista Antivirus Pro.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.