Vista Internet Security
Uninstalling the rogue program Vista Internet Security’ requires an effective anti-malware tool. You can find a quick removal guide on this page and a useful tool to instantly delete this malware.
Vista Internet Security, sometimes appears as Vista Internet Security 2010 is a rogue computer security program that will display fake messages “Stealth program detected” and “Privacy threat.” Users can be easily deceived with this tactic and assume that these are part of Windows Vista. In fact, phony warnings are displayed intentionally by rogue security program to frighten victims. This scary tactics are ways and means of rogue programs to promote itself and convince user to obtain Vista Internet Security activation key or serial number. The malicious program is intended to be sold via fraudulent online activities as mentioned.
Do you know how fake antivirus infection took place? The most convincing approach to dig into user’s computer is by pretending as an automatic update coming from operating system maker Microsoft Corp. Users eagerly updating the system may not notice that the malicious program Vista Internet Security is being installed in the background. Once completed, virus scan will set without user’s involvement. The fake AV will hit Windows registry to give itself a spot on start-up items. It was found out that several versions of this rogue program namely XP Internet Security and Win 7 Internet Security are also targeting systems of the same OS version.
To remove Vista Internet Security 2010, use a combination of legit and trusted anti-malware and anti-virus programs only. Do not fall into a trap make you spend for worthless software such as Vista Internet Security.
Screenshot Image of Vista Internet Security 2010:
Technical Details and Additional Information:
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows Vista
How to Remove Vista Internet Security
Step 1 : Remove Vista Internet Security with this recommended tool
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Vista Internet Security. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Vista Internet Security, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Step 2 : Run a thorough scan to remove Vista Internet Security
1. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
2. Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
3. It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
4. Windows will now start in Safe Mode. It runs on minimal set of drivers so expect your desktop to load a low-resolution display.
5. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
6. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Vista Internet Security and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
7. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
8. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 3 : Remove Rootkit Trojan that installs Vista Internet Security
Anti-rootkit utility called TDSSKiller is a free tool from Kasperksy that neutralizes complicated malware which effectively hides its process, folders, files and registry entries.
1. Download TDSSKiller and save the file on your desktop or any accessible spot.
2. Extract the contents of downloaded file (tdsskiller.zip) using archiver programs like Winzip or Winrar.
3. Locate the folder where you extracted tdsskiller.zip and double-click the file TDSSKiller.exe to launch the scanner.
4. Once TDSSKiller is open, please mark Services and drivers as well as Boot Sectors. Picking these options ensures that the program will inspect boot sector and system files that are infected with Vista Internet Security. Please refer to attached image.
5. Click on Start Scan button to begin scanning your system. This may take a while. You need to complete this process to make sure that the program detects and delete all components of Vista Internet Security.
6. When scan has finished, you may restart Windows normally. This part of the removal process using TDSSKiller is now complete.
Additional scanner you may run to ensure that Vista Internet Security is totally deleted
To thoroughly remove Vista Internet Security, it is best to do a separate scan of another security program so that other infected files not detected from previous can be removed as well. Click here to start using SuperAntiSpyware Portable.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove a virus without the need to install additional anti-virus software is to perform a thorough scan with free Online Virus Scanner. Browse this page to see a list of free services from specific anti-virus and security company.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Vista Internet Security
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Vista Internet Security drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Vista Internet Security manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Vista Internet Security requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Vista Internet Security.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Vista Internet Security files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
- Thoroughly scan the computer with your updated antivirus software.
4. Delete all files dropped by Vista Internet Security.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:
File Location for Windows Versions:Added Registry Entries:
- %UserProfile% is C:\Users\<Current User> for Windows Vista/7, for Windows XP/2000 this is C:\Documents and Settings\<Current User>.
Did Vista Internet Security blocks your Internet access?
It is usual that rogue program prevents user from downloading removal tools from the Internet. Thus, infected computer may be denied to access the Internet by making changes to computer's proxy, DNS, and Hosts file. To fix Internet connection problem, follow these steps:
1. Download the free program called MiniToolBox. Click the button below to begin. Save the file on your hard drive or preferably in your Desktop.
2. Close all running Internet browser and double-click on the file to run. It opens a window showing a list of features.
3. Make sure that you have a check mark on the following items : Flush DNS, Reset IE Proxy Settings, and Reset FF Proxy Settings.
4. Click on the GO button to start the process. The program automatically closes and displays a text file for your reference.
5. If the above solution does not work, you may try other method like fixing a virus-blocked Internet access. Make sure that your hosts file is free from any malicious entries. View steps in cleaning Windows host file.
Ways to Prevent Vista Internet Security Infection
Here are some guidelines to help defend your computer from virus attack and malware activities. Being fully protected does not have to be expensive.
Install protection software to block Vista Internet Security and other threats
Having an effective anti-malware program is the best way to guard your computer against malware and threats. Although full version of anti-malware will cost some penny to obtain, it is still worthy to buy one. With real-time scan, it will be safer for you to browse the web, download files, and do more things online.
Keep all programs up to date
It is important to download critical update for installed programs. Software updates includes patches for security flaw that may utilize by an attacker to enter the computer. This flaw may be taken advantage by Vista Internet Security, viruses, and malware to attack the computer. Crucial programs to watch for updates are MS Windows, MS Office, Adobe Flash, Adobe Acrobat, and Java Runtime.
Activate security features of your Internet browser
SmartScreen Filter, Phishing and Malware Protection, and Block Attack Sites are the respective security features of Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox. Although, it may not fully guard your computer from online attack, at least it can lessen the risk. Enabling these features also helps to secure your private data and avoid identity theft.
Be a responsible Internet user
Antivirus programs and security features of Internet browser facilitates real-time protection and monitors harmful activities online. However, it tends to malfunction for some reasons. Thus, you do not have to be fully dependent on these tools. It is always best to practice safety measures when using the Internet.