Windows Basic Antivirus
By publishing this article, we aim to help our readers to avoid Windows Basic Antivirus infection. For those who become a victim, we also prepare an effective removal guide to delete this fake software.
Windows Basic Antivirus is another program computer user like you should not trust. It is a fake protection software that will terminate any security software you have on the system. Why Windows Basic Antivirus does this is because it wants only one AV program running. In addition, this malware disables your security software to avoid being detected and remain in good rank. To increase your trust towards the program, authors created Windows Basic Antivirus to show many fake warnings and alerts. You should not believe it. Moreover, this rogue software will scan your system and detect Trojans, viruses and worms. Once again, never rely on this bogus scan result.
It may be unknown to you how this program arrives on the system but you have take part on the infection process. If you visit malicious web sites that employs harmful script, it may drop and install Windows Basic Antivirus without your knowledge. Others may get this rogue program from fraud email messages that disguise as software updates, social network invitation, and similar courses from a well-known company. This email will contain a message with links pointing to malware. One click on the link is enough to initiate the process and install the fake antivirus. When Windows Basic Antivirus is present on the computer, prompts to purchase the paid version will never end. This constant advice is part of unjust marketing tactic.
All that Windows Basic Antivirus wants is your money. Buying this program will bring nothing but harm to your computer. So, it is important that you must delete the fake antivirus when spotted. On this page, we provide a solution with a tool that will remove the threat. The suggested tool does not require a purchase to remove Windows Basic Antivirus. It is a free tool. However, if you want complete protection, you may purchase the license version.
Screenshot Image of Windows Basic Antivirus:
Technical Details and Additional Information:
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7[cf]regis[/cf] [cf]files[/cf]
How to Remove Windows Basic Antivirus
Manual Removal Procedure
1. Unload any running Windows Basic Antivirus process by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard. This will open Task Manager. Look for the following process and click on End Process.
Protector-(random 3 characters).exe
2. If there is an antivirus program installed, connect to Internet and update it to have the latest database and pattern files.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and clean/delete all infected files. Check if there are remnants of virus-related files, delete if found.
4. Edit Windows registry and delete Windows Basic Antivirus entries. [how to edit registry]
5. Close registry editor, changes will be save automatically.
6. Remove Windows Basic Antivirus start-up entry by going to Start > Run, type msconfig on the "Open" dialog box. System Configuration Utility will open. Go to Startup tab and uncheck these Startup items.
Protector-(random 3 characters).exe
7. Click on Apply and reboot the computer for changes to take effect.
Windows Basic Antivirus Removal ToolFor automatic removal of this malware, please click here to download anti-malware tool. There are instances that Trojan will block the downloading of our recommended tool. On this situation, please download the file from a clean computer. Rename the file before installing it on the infected system.
Alternative Removal Method for Windows Basic Antivirus
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Windows Basic Antivirus enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Windows Basic Antivirus infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Windows Basic Antivirus manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Windows Basic Antivirus requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Windows Basic Antivirus.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Windows Basic Antivirus files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Windows Basic Antivirus.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.