Windows Scan is another fake hard drive analysis and optimization program that was developed to deceive computer users with fake alerts and warning messages. This will aim to make users believe that problems occurring on the computer must be resolve with the paid version of Windows Scan. Typically, Windows Scan virus is dropped on the PC with the use of another Trojan that will also display fake alerts and when click will initiate a download of the rogue application. Once installed on the computer, the unwanted program will continue to display warnings and fixing these errors will require a licensed version.
Windows Scan Activation
Advanced module activation required to fix detected errors and performance issues. Please purchase Advanced Module license to activate this software and enable all features.
Infected users does not require the full version of a rogue program. All it takes to stop these annoyances is a legitimate and trusted malware removal utility. Removal procedure is included on this page. Just download and update the recommended application. Do a full scan and delete any detected threats. It is also recommended to run the same scan while is Safe Mode of Windows to thoroughly remove Windows Scan virus and all of its associated files.
Screen Shot Image:
Technical Details and Additional Information:
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista
To further mislead computer users, this rogue application will repeatedly display fake errors such as:
Critical Error A critical error has occurred while indexing data stored on hard drive. System restart required.
System Restore The system has been restored after a critical error. Data integrity and hard drive integrity verification required.
Low Disk Space You are running very low disk space on Local Disk (C:).
Windows – No Disk Exception Processing Message 0×0000013
How to Remove Windows Scan
Manual Removal Procedure
1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on keyboard to stop the process associated to "Windows Scan". When Windows Task Manager opens, go to Processes tab. Find and end this process.
2. You need to update your installed antivirus software. Please connect to the Internet and download the most recent database. This is a one-click process from your AV program’s console.
3. Thoroughly scan the computer and remove any threats found by your antivirus program. If delete option is not available, your best next choice is to quarantine the infected file. There is also a need to manually locate and delete malicious files. Please see the file section for items that are relevant to Windows Scan Virus.
4. Next, you need to remove registry entries created by Windows Scan. Please refer to registry section to view entries related to the rogue program. [how to edit registry]
5. Exit registry editor when you are done.
6. Get rid of Windows Scan start-up entry by going to Start > Run, type msconfig on the "Open" dialog box. It will launch a new window containing System Configuration Utility. Click on the Startup tab and uncheck the following item.
Windows Scan Virus Removal Tool
For not so technical users that cannot comprehend with the manual removal. This automatic detection and cleaner is recommended. However, you need to download and install a tool to complete this process. The tool is free to download. We highly advise the use of this program to automatically delete all files and registry entries created by Windows Scan. Remember that erasing system files required by the operating system may cause erratic behavior. It may also lead to system malfunction. Proceed with Windows Scan automatic removal.
Use A Portable SuperAntiSpyware:
For complete removal of the virus, carry out a separate scan using different security program. This may catch infected items that evade your previous scan. Download and run SAS Portable Scanner.
Alternative Removal Method for Windows Scan
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Windows Scan enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Windows Scan infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Windows Scan manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Windows Scan requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Windows Scan.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Windows Scan files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Windows Scan.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.