If there are paid versions of McAfee Anti-virus that will protect a computer from virus threats, there is also a free version that has no real-time protection but is very useful in removing computer virus, worm, Trojan and malware. The good this about McAfee Labs Stinger is its compact but powerful scan engine technology that includes process scanning, digitally signed DAT files and reliable scan performance.
How to use McAfee Labs Stinger?
1. Get the latest version from McAfee web sites. Download Stinger and save it to a USB drives or local drives.
2. Double-click on the downloaded Stinger.exe file to run.
3. Stinger virus scanner will open and display the default drive to scan. You may add other drives to scan if needed.
4. Click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the defined drives and folders.
5. Virus scanning will begin, any detected threats will be removed automatically.
McAfee Labs Stinger is just a stand-alone utility that will fit and run on USB flash drives and multimedia drives. It should not be used as a substitute for a full anti-virus program because it has no real-time scanning that protects the computer from attacks.