Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F is a generic detection for a Trojan that will open a backdoor to allow illicit remote access and let attackers gain full control on the infected computer. Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F can monitor the system and steal sensitive information. Coming from the family of Zonebac, this variant is also capable of lowering Internet Explorer security settings. The threat can also overwrite crucial Windows file in order to run itself when the system starts.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When executed, Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F will drop a file under Temporary folder of Windows that is essential for its operation. Next, it will check for any running processes that are associated to system tools and anti-virus program. If found, the Trojan will delete the process that reduces security settings on the computer. It has a self-destruct function so not to alarm user of its presence by deleting itself before antivirus programs can notice the presence.
Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F also executes the following tasks:
- Connect to a remote computer and update itself
- Communicate with a remote host and download additional malware
- Gather and send sensitive computer information such as operating system version, security programs installed, latest installed service pack, computer name and other important data
Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F presence is caused by another Trojan infection. Once inside the system, it will infect executable files on local drive and unsecured network shares as a method to propagate. The Trojan will save a copy of clean file under “Bak” directory before injecting its malicious code.
How to Remove Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. To be able to identify even the most recent variant of Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F, open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Additional virus removal tool like Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to eliminate other threats not detected by a normal virus scan. Use this tool with extra caution.
5. Go to this link and download Norton Power Eraser.
6. Once the download completes, double click on the file NPE.exe to run the program.
7. It will prompt for End User License Agreement, click on Accept to continue.
8. On NPE main window, click on Scan. Then select Exclude Rootkit Scan. Click on Continue to proceed.
9. Virus scanning may take some time. After running the scan, NPE will display the scan result.
Important! If there are any detected threats under Suspicious, remove the check mark. Only threats in Detected category are necessary to remove at this point. Make sure that you mark the Create System Restore Point before proceeding with the fix.
10. Now click on Fix to start removing the threats including Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F remnants if there are any.
11. When done, Norton Power Eraser will restart the computer. Then after a reboot, it will initialize and display the eliminated threats.
12. You may now close Norton Power Eraser.
Alternative Removal Method for Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Backdoor:Win32/Zonebac.Gen!F.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.