When your computer is affected by Boot.Mebromi, you may follow the procedure on this page to contain this threat. Remove the Trojan at once before it can further harm the system.
Boot.Mebromi is a detection for Master Boot Record (MBR) that is compromised by Trojan.Mebroni. Since MBR is section of hard drive used primarily to execute start up operation of the system, virus developers constantly target it. This way, they can easily launch an instance of Trojan operation without making serious changes on the operating system.
Boot.Mebromi utilized low-level type of infection in sync with advanced rootkit method makes it less likely to be detected by security programs. The Trojan is not contented on infecting the boot record alone but also employs direct disk access and embeds malicious code to vacant sectors of hard disk causing operating system insensible of its presence. Given these sophisticated means of invading local hard drive, it is not at all surprising why Boot.Mebromi is hard to detect and much complex to remove.
Computer who is infected with this Trojan may suffer from data loss. It may also bring severe damages to system files and major components to run a program. Thus, some users may have trouble in running software. Worst, the Trojan may gravely affect the computer, which can lead to total disability. If that happens, the only way to revive the computer is by performing a complete reformat of the infected hard drive.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Boot.Mebromi can infect any computer users in a variety of method. The usual way of spreading this Trojan is through spam email messages. Either Trojan is attached to email or a body of the message may contain links pointing to the Trojan. Other propagation means includes instant messaging software and compromised legitimate web sites.
How to Remove Boot.Mebromi
Restore Windows ComponentsDuring an infection, Boot.Mebromi drops various files. The worm intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these accomplishments, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is trough System Restore. If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore.
Manual Removal Procedure
1. If an anti-virus program is present, update the definition file. Each anti-virus program has its own way to update the database. Please refer to your software manufacturer’s manual.
2. Reboot Windows in Safe Mode to ensure that only minimal Windows components are loaded.
- After turning on the power of the computer, press F8 on your keyboard.
- It will display the Boot Options menu, select Safe Mode.
3. Run a full system scan and clean/delete all infected files related to Boot.Mebromi.
4. Delete or modify any values added by Boot.Mebromi to the registry if present. Please see the reference.
- To edit the registry, click on Start > Run and type regedit.exe in the field.
- Alternatively, you may press Windows Key + R on your keyboard to open the RUN command.
5. Exit registry editor when done. You may now restart the computer.
Removal ToolA free removal tool from Norton Antivirus was developed to remove virus and unfamiliar threats without using the traditional AV signatures. Download the tool from this location and start scanning the computer for viruses and Trojans.
Alternative Removal Method for Boot.Mebromi
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Boot.Mebromi enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Boot.Mebromi infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Boot.Mebromi manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Boot.Mebromi requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Boot.Mebromi.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Boot.Mebromi files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Boot.Mebromi.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.