This page contains detailed analysis on Downloader.Jadelile. To get rid of this Trojan, please use the removal guide below.
Downloader.Jadelile is a computer Trojan that will modify Internet browser plug-ins to switch advertisements when visiting a web site. This Trojan may also control some areas of social networking site for logged in users. It may post anonymous Facebook wall messages. To achieve the tasks, Downloader.Jadelile will have to connect to a remote server and fetch the malicious code.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When executed, the Trojan will create a software folder under %ProgramFiles% . See “Related files and folder” section for a complete list. All executable Browser Helper Object (BHO) files are located in this folder. It will also make changes to Windows registry that will make the Trojan load on Windows start-up.
Once running on the infected PC, Downloader.Jadelile will connect to a remote server and download malicious Internet browser plug-ins. It will then install this plug-in to browsers including Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Mozilla Firefox.
There are no other extensive attacks recorded by Downloader.Jadelile, except that it can utilize the browser plug-in to replace valid advertisements with its own while user is browsing the web. Additionally, if user is logged-in into Facebook, the Trojan may post wall messages containing harmful links. This action is without user’s consent.
Downloader.Jadelile spreads through a number of means normally employs by other similar threats. There are also findings that malicious links will direct victims to Downloader.Jadelile hosts page. These links will reach user via spam email messages, instant messaging programs and malicious blogs that tackle most recent issues.
How to Remove Downloader.Jadelile
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. To be able to identify even the most recent variant of Downloader.Jadelile, open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Additional virus removal tool provides deep scanning technology to eliminate other threats not detected by a normal virus scan. Use this tool with extra caution.
5. Go to NPE web page and download the tool.
6. Once the download completes, double click on the file NPE.exe to run the program.
7. It will prompt for End User License Agreement, click on Accept to continue.
8. On NPE main window, click on Scan. Then select Exclude Rootkit Scan. Click on Continue to proceed.
9. Virus scanning may take some time. After running the scan, NPE will display the scan result.
Important! If there are any detected threats under Suspicious, remove the check mark. Only threats in Detected category are necessary to remove at this point. Make sure that you mark the Create System Restore Point before proceeding with the fix.
10. Now click on Fix to start removing the threats including Downloader.Jadelile remnants if there are any.
11. When done, Norton Power Eraser will restart the computer. Then after a reboot, it will initialize and display the eliminated threats.
12. You may now close Norton Power Eraser.
Alternative Removal Method for Downloader.Jadelile
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Downloader.Jadelile enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Downloader.Jadelile infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Downloader.Jadelile manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Downloader.Jadelile requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Downloader.Jadelile.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Downloader.Jadelile files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Downloader.Jadelile.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.