Downloader.Monkif is a harmful computer Trojan that will connect to a remote server and download more threats. This Trojan also ends security-related process that it detected running, thus it will cause disability to your anti-virus program. With malfunctioning security product and a presence of Trojan that can fetch added malware, computer may suffer a lot causing some programs to crash. User may also face severe decrease on system’s performance when this Trojan reserves huge amount of system resources for the operation.
When Downloader.Monkif is run, it will create several files on local hard drive. It will utilize web browser’s mechanism to load a harmful code. Then, this Trojan will try to connect to a remote server and download more malware. Additional files that may allow the Trojan to update itself and increase the payload is also provided by the same server.
Another instance of Trojan infection may drop Downloader.Monkif as the following fie:
It may also spread in a manner that other threats does. Social networking sites, spam email campaign, and peer-to-peer connection are just some of the common ways to multiply Downloader.Monkif and reach every computer users that are connected to Internet.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
Manual Removal of Downloader.Monkif
1. If using Windows Me/XP, System Restore must be disabled to prevent the threat from restoring itself.
2. Database, pattern and definition files of installed antivirus programs must be updated.
3. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
4. Run a full system scan and clean/delete all infected files.
5. Restart Windows in normal mode.
Online Virus Scanner:
It is best run a separate scan using free Online Virus Scanner. It can be used without the need to install additional antivirus application.
How to Protect Computer From Downloader.Monkif
Computer Security Recommendations:
– Install antivirus and firewall program. A combination of these two may prevent virus and hacking attack.
– Use complex passwords on every aspect that requires it. Hard to crack passwords containing alpha-numeric characters and not less than eight characters long will help prevent further damage on infected computer.
– Disable Autoplay of USB drives to avoid automatic launching of virus that is run via Autorun.Inf file
– Configure email clients to block incoming emails that contains attached files with .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr extensions.
– Be wise in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.