Infostealer.Onlinegame is a Trojan that aims to collect online game credentials like user name and password from an infected computer. The threat will send gathered account to a remote attacker using compromised system’s own email client. It may also download and run additional malware from a remote server.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When Trojan is run on the computer, it will create a couple of files and place them under Windows folder. It also alters the registry and input a line of entry and subkey. Both of these items are critical to Trojan’s activity.
To execute the infection, Infostealer.Onlinegame will inject malicious codes onto Explorer.Exe Process. When Explorer starts, the Trojan separately accomplishes its tasks discreetly.
Infostealer.Onlinegame monitors the computer for presence of online games including Yahoo, MSN Games, World of Warcraft and Maple Story. When the Trojan sense that any of the program is running, it tries to steal user name and password of victim. Next, it sends the stolen data to a remote attacker using victim’s own email setup. It can also use an HTTP protocol to send the data to a specified web address also owns by the same attacker.
This Trojan also attempts to connect to a distant server download more malware.
Infostealer.Onlinegame may arrive on the computer as a batch (.BAT) file coming from a contracted web site. There are also instances that this virus is sent out as spam email messages containing malicious links pointing to web address that hosts the Trojan. Other sources of infection can be compromised web sites, file-sharing networks, Warez downloads, and malicious links from instant messaging software.
How to Remove Infostealer.Onlinegame
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP).
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Infostealer.Onlinegame
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove Infostealer.Onlinegame without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Method for Infostealer.Onlinegame
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Infostealer.Onlinegame enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Infostealer.Onlinegame infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Infostealer.Onlinegame manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Infostealer.Onlinegame requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Infostealer.Onlinegame.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Infostealer.Onlinegame files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Infostealer.Onlinegame.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.