Contents of this article pertain to Java.Cogyeka. This page includes description, technical aspects, and removal guide to delete the threat from your computer.
Java.Cogyeka is detection for harmful Java Script that is Trojan in nature. This threat spreads via removable media drives and insecure mapped network drives. It will drop an executable file and a copy of autorun.inf file, which can be detected as Java.Cogyeka!autorun. This INF file will allow the threat to run each time user access the affected drive. The Trojan may also contact a remote computer to download more threat.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista/7
Once executed, Java.Cogyeka will produce a number of files under Temp folder of Windows. It uses random generated file names to (at least) evade pattern detection by certain antivirus programs. It may also start its process when Windows starts by adding a line of registry entry. You can view full list of files and registry entries on technical section of this page.
There is still uncertainty on the main objective of Java.Cogyeka aside from adding other threats. The threat is capable of establishing a connection to a remote server to download and execute another module. In order for the new module to fulfill its task, it will open a random UDP port on the infected computer.
This kind of Trojan spreads worldwide through file-sharing networks. In most occasions, Java.Cogyeka author embeds the code onto legitimate executable files that are mostly downloaded from shared public server. Using an advanced technique, it often conceals itself from antivirus software. Spam email message is another way to distribute the threat to unspecified targets. It may arrive as an attached file that disguises as worthy document file from a well-known company.
Locally, Java.Cogyeka propagates by copying itself to removable drives and mapped network drives that has weak security. Obvious symptom from infected computer is presence of the following files:
%DriveLetter%\RECYCLER\[SID]\[Random letters].[Three random letters]
Antivirus program may have difficulty in removing this Trojan due to applied advanced method. Some security software may require user to manually delete the affected files inside the infected system.
How to Remove Java.Cogyeka
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Java.Cogyeka .
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove Java.Cogyeka without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Automatic Removal of Java.CogyekaIn order to completely remove the threat, it is best to download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Sometimes, Trojans will block the downloading and installation of MBAM. If this happens, download it from a clean computer and rename the executable file before executing on the infected machine.
Alternative Removal Method for Java.Cogyeka
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Java.Cogyeka enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Java.Cogyeka infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Java.Cogyeka manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Java.Cogyeka requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Java.Cogyeka.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Java.Cogyeka files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Java.Cogyeka.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.