Contents of this article pertain to TROJ_SMALL.UY. This page includes description, technical aspects, and removal guide to delete the threat from your computer.
TROJ_SMALL.UY is a Trojan that can drop another threat on to the infected computer. People may acquire this by visiting malicious websites. This Trojan will pretend as a legitimate Adobe Flash player updated to penetrate and install itself on victim’s computer. Presence of TROJ_SMALL.UY may set off malfunctions in Windows operating system. It can also endanger the privacy of computer users by exposing sensitive data to an attacker.
Alias: Trojan.Crypter.C, Downloader, Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Small.uy, Downloader-PV
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP
Upon execution of TROJ_SMALL.UY, it creates certain files and folders under Windows directory. Also part of installation routing is the addition of registry entries that calls the main Trojan file when Windows starts. For a complete list of files and registry entries created by this threat, please refer to Technical Details section.
The Trojan may also fetch additional malware from a distant server and execute it on the compromised PC. Newly added threat may bring more damage. In fact, it is known that TROJ_SMALL.UY will drop a dangerous threat called TROJ_DLOADER.ZEK.
TROJ_SMALL.UY typically spreads through drive-by-download method utilized on certain malicious web sites. The Trojan can be downloaded unknowingly by visitor and runs on computer undetected. Once inside, it drops files, create folders and add an Uninstall function in Windows control panel. As part of its installation routine, TROJ_SMALL.UY will create several registry entries. After full execution, the Trojan will delete itself and leaves no mark of infection.
How to Remove TROJ_SMALL.UY
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Scan and remove TROJ_SMALL.UY with this special tool
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including TROJ_SMALL.UY. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove TROJ_SMALL.UY, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode with Networking on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
Start computer in Safe Mode with Networking using Windows 8
a) Before Windows begins to load, press Shift and F8 on your keyboard.
b) On Recovery interface, click on 'See advanced repair options'.
c) Next, click on Troubleshoot option.
d) Then, select Advanced options from the list.
e) Lastly, please choose Windows Startup Settings and click on Restart. When Windows restarts, you will be send to a familiar Advanced Boot Options screen.
f) Select Safe Mode with Networking from the selections menu.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of TROJ_SMALL.UY.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove TROJ_SMALL.UY without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove TROJ_SMALL.UY and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for TROJ_SMALL.UY
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, TROJ_SMALL.UY drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : TROJ_SMALL.UY manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of TROJ_SMALL.UY requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to TROJ_SMALL.UY.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for TROJ_SMALL.UY files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete the following:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run "[random charaters.exe]"
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures above.
- Open your anti-virus program and thoroughly run a scan on the computer. Delete/Quarantine all identified threats to remove TROJ_SMALL.UY effectively.
4. Delete all files dropped by TROJ_SMALL.UY.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:Added Registry Entries:
Ways to Prevent TROJ_SMALL.UY Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.