Trojan.Dogrobot is a harmful computer Trojan. It will try to lower security settings on the infected computer by attacking the Windows registry. The Trojan will also attempt to communicate with the remote server and download more harmful files. Trojan.Dogrobot may also modify system and add its own entry on Windows registry to run itself every time Windows is starts.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Once the Trojan is executed, it will create a number of files on the infected computer. Refer to Files and Folder sections for additional details. It also modifies initialization file to perform distinct task. To load its code on Windows start-up, the Trojan will execute modifications on the registry and add its own entries. Next, Trojan.Dogrobot will prevent security tools and program from running. It also accomplishes this task via the system registry. To block infected computer from reaching domains and web site that belongs to genuine antivirus programs, it will alter the Windows Hosts file. Thus, it redirects Internet traffic to unknown address.
Lastly, Trojan.Dogrobot will monitor certain activities, web browsing habit of the user, and send reports to a specified location.
Trojan.Dogrobot spreads in a way that it represents itself as a document file or useful program on spam email messages. Opening the attached file will initiate the Trojan and begin to infect files on the system.
How to Remove Trojan.Dogrobot
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. To identify even the most recent variant of Trojan.Dogrobot, open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Free tool from Symantec called Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to detect and remote threats like Trojan.Dogrobot. NPE targets and eliminate threats that regular virus scan fails to identify. Download NPE here.
Important! Because of Norton Power Eraser’s aggressive method, it can select even legitimate files as suspicious. Please use this tool very carefully.