This page contains detailed analysis on Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k. To get rid of this Trojan, please use the removal guide below.
Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k is a Trojan downloader that connects to a remote computer to pull another malicious file. To initiate an attack, cyber criminals first invade a computer with malware such as Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k, then a more prevalent and dangerous threat will follow. This threat aims to download and execute more threats from a remote server. It may establish a communication to a remote server in order to perform this action. Added threat may carry out other payload that may cause system instability. Other may mean to steal sensitive information from user including user name and passwords and online banking account.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
If executed, Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k will access a remote web site and attempts to download and install potentially unwanted program. This variant is specially crafted to target specific files from a specified server. Other versions aims on targeting a predefined web address that redirect victims to a malicious web site employing a drive-by-download method and exploit computer vulnerabilities to inject malicious code.
Aside from downloading functionality, Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k can perform other malicious actions while active on the computer. The Trojan may communicate to a remote computer and update itself. They may also be utilized to execute other task while exploiting vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer.
Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k initially propagates through spam operation that may arrive on target computer as a form of email or Internet campaign. The Trojan may also be injected by a virus infection or through contracted legitimate webs sites that falls victims into this procedure.
How to Remove Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. To be able to identify even the most recent variant of Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k, open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Additional virus removal tool like Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to eliminate other threats not detected by a normal virus scan. Use this tool with extra caution.
5. Go to this link and download Norton Power Eraser.
6. Once the download completes, double click on the file NPE.exe to run the program.
7. It will prompt for End User License Agreement, click on Accept to continue.
8. On NPE main window, click on Scan. Then select Exclude Rootkit Scan. Click on Continue to proceed.
9. Virus scanning may take some time. After running the scan, NPE will display the scan result.
Important! If there are any detected threats under Suspicious, remove the check mark. Only threats in Detected category are necessary to remove at this point. Make sure that you mark the Create System Restore Point before proceeding with the fix.
10. Now click on Fix to start removing the threats including Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k remnants if there are any.
11. When done, Norton Power Eraser will restart the computer. Then after a reboot, it will initialize and display the eliminated threats.
12. You may now close Norton Power Eraser.
Alternative Removal Method for Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Trojan Downloader.Win32.Devsog!k infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.