Trojan.Dugenpal is a computer Trojan that will function as proxy server once it runs on an infected computer. This Trojan can remove Internet access restriction on Windows firewall and allows a list of servers to communicate with the compromised PC. Trojan.Dugenpal uses the computer as proxy server to shadow malicious communications perpetuated by the attacker.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Once executed on the system, Trojan.Dugenpal will create a copy of itself on certain locations of the hard drives. You may refer to Files and Folder section for a complete list. Then, the Trojan will configure itself to load each time Windows starts. A record of Windows registry that the threat added is also included on this page.
When Trojan.Dugenpal is running, it will make changes to Windows firewall settings and remove Internet access limitation and allows malicious traffic to pass through. Infected PC will make a request to specified servers and play as a proxy server, redirecting unwanted traffic. It appears that Trojan.Dugenpal is using the affected computer to hide malicious traffic for online activities.
Trojan.Dugenpal is spread through spam operation. It is either in the form of email or Internet campaign. Authors of this Trojan may also embed the code into downloadable executable files that are hosted on unsecured file-sharing networks.
How to Remove Trojan.Dugenpal
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. To identify even the most recent variant of Trojan.Dugenpal, open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Free tool from Symantec called Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to detect and remote threats like Trojan.Dugenpal. NPE targets and eliminate threats that regular virus scan fails to identify. Download NPE here.
Important! Because of Norton Power Eraser’s aggressive method, it can select even legitimate files as suspicious. Please use this tool very carefully.
Alternative Removal Method for Trojan.Dugenpal
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Trojan.Dugenpal enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Trojan.Dugenpal infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Trojan.Dugenpal manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Trojan.Dugenpal requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Trojan.Dugenpal.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Trojan.Dugenpal files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Trojan.Dugenpal.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.