Trojan.Mebroot!gen2 is a heuristic recognition used to detect malicious files that are related to Trojan.Mebroot. Files detected as Trojan.Mebroot!gen2 are deemed harmful and poses great danger on the computer. This type of Trojan must be removed immediately with a virus scan.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
Manual Removal of Trojan.Mebroot!gen2
1. If using Windows Me/XP, System Restore must be disabled to prevent the threat from restoring itself. [how to]
2. Database, pattern and definition files of installed antivirus programs must be updated.
3. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
4. Run a full system scan and clean/delete all infected files.
5. Restart Windows in normal mode.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
A free removal tool from Norton Antivirus was developed to remove unfamiliar threats without using the traditional AV signatures. Download the tool from this location and start scanning the computer for viruses.
How to Protect Computer From Trojan.Mebroot!gen2
Computer Security Recommendations:
– Install antivirus and firewall program. A combination of these two may prevent virus and hacking attack.
– Use complex passwords on every aspect that requires it. Hard to crack passowords containing alpha-numeric characters and not less than eight characters long will help prevent further damage on infected computer.
– Disable Autoplay of USB drives to avoid automatic launching of virus that is run via Autorun.Inf file
– Configure email clients to block incoming emails that contains attached files with .vbs, .bat, .exe, .pif and .scr extensions.
– Be wise in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.