Perhaps, one of the most deadly computer infections to date is Trojan.Rontokbro. It is so destructive that it can make the affected computer unusable. The Trojan may also use the affected PC to attack other targets.
Trojan.Rontokbro is a very harmful Trojan that will disable some Windows resources and performs distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks on predefined web sites to hamper its operation. The Trojan may also drop other malicious files and create a bunch of registry entries that are essential for its operation. Presence of this Trojan may result to total devastation, it will delete all files and folders it can find on the compromised computer.
Alias: Virus.Win32.VB.ic, Worm:Win32/Baluk.gen, Trojan.Win32.Agent.bdh, Trojan:Win32/VB.AAI, Virus.Win32.VB.ic, Generic.dx, Trojan.Win32.Agent
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When Trojan.Rontokbro is executed, it will create numerous executable files such as .exe, .com, .scr under System folder of Windows. It will also create several registry entries that allow the Trojan to run when Windows starts. Other registry entries it will add will attempt to disable Windows functions including task manager, folder options, desktop, control panel and DOS command.
Trojan.Rontokbro creates a desktop icon, which shows a combined logo of Microsoft Windows and Linux. If user initiates this icon, it will display the following note:
“Don’t touch me, dude!! or I will kill your PC, right now!!”
The most devastating thing this Trojan can do to an infected computer is to delete all files from various folders and displays a text messages like:
“Your PC was killed by Rontok”
Lastly, the Trojan will use the infected computer to initiate massive Internet traffic to a target web site. This is known as Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack, in which every affected computer worldwide will transmit vast amount of traffic in order to take down the service of the target web address.
Trojan.Rontokbro arrives on computers in several ways. Most known method is to send threat through spam email messages. User may also be contaminated when a questionable link from instant messaging software is executed.
Another means of propagation is through drive-by-download. Trojan can enter the computer when user visits a web site that is either legitimate but compromised or web pages that is harmful in nature. The process is so covert that user’s may not even notice the infection.
How to Remove Trojan.Rontokbro
Step 1 : Scan and remove Trojan.Rontokbro with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Trojan.Rontokbro. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Trojan.Rontokbro, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove Trojan.Rontokbro
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
9. Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
10. It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
11. Windows will now start in Safe Mode. It runs on minimal set of drivers so expect your desktop to load a low-resolution display.
12. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
13. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Trojan.Rontokbro and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
14. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
15. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Trojan.Rontokbro.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove Trojan.Rontokbro without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove Trojan.Rontokbro and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Trojan.Rontokbro
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Trojan.Rontokbro enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Trojan.Rontokbro infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Trojan.Rontokbro manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Trojan.Rontokbro requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Trojan.Rontokbro.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Trojan.Rontokbro files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Trojan.Rontokbro.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:Added Registry Entries:
Ways to Prevent Trojan.Rontokbro Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.