W32.Ckbface!gen1 is a generic detection to identify threats that belongs to a family of W32.Ckbface. Files detected as W32.Ckbface!gen1 infected are deemed malicious and endangers local and network computers. The worm may spread through infected computer that are using Facebook and MSN Messenger program. It is typically send to gathered contacts in the form of harmful email that contains link of the worm site.
If user executes that link, it instantly drop a copy of W32.Ckbface!gen1. Once the worm takes a spot on victim’s PC, it will make certain changes to the system. It drops files and tweak registry settings. Thought these modifications, the worm may load each time Windows starts.
Once it is running on the computer and if user is engaged in Facebook or MSN Messegner, W32.Ckbface!gen1 will search for contact information from this applications. Then, it will mass-send a spam message that includes link pointing to the location of the worm. Recipient of the spam messages may be infected if they click on this link. Most of the time, unsuspecting users are deceived with the message tempting contents. On the other hand, sender has no knowledge about the action of the worm. It is unknown to them that the infected computer is being utilized to spread a copy of W32.Ckbface!gen1 using their own contact list.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
Manual Removal of W32.Ckbface!gen1
1. If using Windows Me/XP, System Restore must be disabled to prevent the threat from restoring itself.[how to]
2. Database, pattern and definition files of installed antivirus programs must be updated.
3. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
4. Run a full system scan and clean/delete all infected files.
5. Restart Windows in normal mode.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove a virus without the need to install additional anti-virus application is to perform a thorough scan with free Online Virus Scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
How to Protect Computer From W32.Ckbface!gen1
Use security programs:
– Install antivirus and always update the database to ensure that it will detect new threats and viruses.
– Use a firewall to block all unwanted incoming Internet traffic.
– Anti-malware is also advise aside from installed antivirus programs.
– Be cautious in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.