W32.Ramnit!html is one threat that uses advanced techniques to infect a computer. It requires systematic removal procedure to get rid of this Trojan.
W32.Ramnit!html is a generic detection for .html files compromised by W32.Ramnit virus. W32.Ramnit!html identified files are appended by Trojan to perform malicious actions. When a contracted file is executed, it drops additional harmful file and tries to spread itself via removable USB drives.
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
If W32.Ramnit!html is executed on the computer, it will create own folder called Mnetwork under Program Files. It also creates a dummy version of the Trojan to confuse the antivirus program. Next, it will attempt to connect to a distant server in order to download and execute more malware and update itself.
When W32.Ramnit!html successfully renewed, it may perform more harmful actions such as the following:
- Monitor user’s Internet activity
- Record keystrokes and save it to a log file
- Download and upload files
- Access the computer and execute files
Damage Level: Medium
W32.Ramnit!html can spread in a variety of ways. It often arrives as an attached file to spam email messages. There are cases that another Trojan or virus will download and execute this threat. Software faults and vulnerable PC are also main cause of W32.Ramnit!html infection.
How to Remove W32.Ramnit!html
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if your system is running on Windows Me/XP. [how to]
2. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- Windows will boot loading only necessary drivers and system files. Expect that it will run with minimal features and low-resolution display.
3. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Ramnit!html.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
4. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Ramnit!html without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Ramnit!html and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Ramnit!html
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Ramnit!html enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Ramnit!html infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent W32.Ramnit!html Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.