Contents of this article is about Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan]. This page includes description, technical aspects, and removal guide to delete the threat from your computer.
Win32:Atraps-PF is detection for a harmful file that may perform several actions when executed. This Trojan is part of a multi-component family of malicious files that controls the Internet browser by altering search results and gaining online profit for its authors. The group consists of many elements that will perform various functions with individual objectives.
Once Win32:Atraps-PF executes on the computer, it will create files on different target locations. Only noticeable symptom is the detection for infection called 80000032.@. This is a function call for the Trojan. It is being used to monitor and embed corrupt codes into a Windows system process so that the Trojan will run when it initiates.
Due to the nature of Win32:Atraps family of Trojan, the payload may vary from one threat to another; however, common behavior includes the following:
- Connecting to a remote server and download arbitrary files
- Contacting specific host to receive commands
- Disable antivirus and security features on the infected computer
- Redirection of Internet browser to unknown web sites
- Excessive display of pop-up advertisements
Win32:Atraps-PF can spread in a variety of ways. It often arrives as an attached file to spam email messages pretending as worthy material from a reputable company. It is also noticed that this Trojan may disguise as essential update to legitimate Windows programs that when installed will reroute Internet traffic to a location of the Trojan. There are also instances that another virus will download and execute Win32:Atraps-PF on a target computer through software faults.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista, Windows Vista[cf]files[/cf]
Antivirus program with updated database can block this Trojan before it can fully run on the computer. As you can see on the image below, Avast stops Win32:Atraps-PF and moved it to chest.
How to Remove Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan]
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. To be able to identify even the most recent variant of Win32:Atraps-PF, open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Additional virus removal tool provides deep scanning technology to eliminate other threats not detected by a normal virus scan. Use this tool with extra caution.
5. Go to NPE web page and download the tool.
6. Once the download completes, double click on the file NPE.exe to run the program.
7. It will prompt for End User License Agreement, click on Accept to continue.
8. On NPE main window, click on Scan. Then select Exclude Rootkit Scan. Click on Continue to proceed.
9. Virus scanning may take some time. After running the scan, NPE will display the scan result.
Important! If there are any detected threats under Suspicious, remove the check mark. Only threats in Detected category are necessary to remove at this point. Make sure that you mark the Create System Restore Point before proceeding with the fix.
10. Now click on Fix to start removing the threats including Win32:Atraps-PF remnants if there are any.
11. When done, Norton Power Eraser will restart the computer. Then after a reboot, it will initialize and display the eliminated threats.
12. You may now close Norton Power Eraser.
Alternative Removal Method for Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan]
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan] enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan] infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan] manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan] requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan].
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan] files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Win32:Atraps-PF [Trojan].
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.