Win32/Bafruz is a multi-component malware. Typically, it has a backdoor function that can perform a number of harmful actions once loaded on victim’s computer. It is developed as a multi-purpose threat that consists of various variants that executes numerous functions. Some parts of Win32/Bafruz may download and execute more malware and others may initiate an attack to spread it over social networking sites.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista/7
When Win32/Bafruz is running, it can take control of the computer. It also creates a peer-to-peer (P2P) network connection in order to communicate with its own server. Once linked, the Trojan may download files and update itself. Win32/Bafruz also downloads other components in order to perform the following actions.
- Disable and remove antivirus program from infected computer
- Capture social networking pages to monitor user’s conversations
- Download and install a bitcoin mining software and generate revenue for attacker
- Carry out a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks against a list of sites
This kind of Trojan spread through file-sharing networks and P2P connections. In most occasions, Win32/Bafruz author embeds the code onto legitimate executable files that are made available from shared public server. Once running on the system, Win32/Bafruz utilizes the infected machine as P2P server and spreads its code to other computers within the network.
Win32/Bafruz uses a misleading alert to uninstall security programs on your PC. The Trojan will display a system tray warning as shown in this screenshot image.
If you follow the given instructions, computer will reboot in Safe Mode and uninstall existing antivirus software. Next, it will display another fake alert confirming complete removal of the program.
How to Remove Win32/Bafruz
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Scan and remove Win32/Bafruz with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Win32/Bafruz. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Win32/Bafruz, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove Win32/Bafruz
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures below.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8
a) Before Windows begins to load, press Shift and F8 on your keyboard.
b) On Recovery interface, click on 'See advanced repair options'.
c) Next, click on Troubleshoot option.
d) Then, select Advanced options from the list.
e) Lastly, please choose Windows Startup Settings and click on Restart. When Windows restarts, you will be send to a familiar Advanced Boot Options screen.
f) Select Safe Mode from the selections menu.
9. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
10. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Win32/Bafruz and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
11. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
12. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Win32/Bafruz.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove Win32/Bafruz without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove Win32/Bafruz and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Win32/Bafruz
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Win32/Bafruz drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Win32/Bafruz manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Win32/Bafruz requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Win32/Bafruz.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Win32/Bafruz files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Win32/Bafruz.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Ways to Prevent Win32/Bafruz Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.
Install an effective anti-malware program
Your first line of defense would be an effective security program that provides real-time protection. We have a list of anti-malware program that are tried and tested. It does not only scan files but also monitors your Internet traffic and is extremely active on blocking malicious communication. Click on the button below to download our recommended anti-malware program.
Always update your installed software
Software vendors constantly releases updates for programs whenever a flaw is discovered. Getting the updates makes the computer more secured and help prevents Trojan, virus, malware, and Win32/Bafruz similar attacks. If in case your program is not set for instant update, it usually offered from vendor's web site, which you can download anytime.
Maximize the security potential of your Internet browser
Each browser has their own feature where in you can adjust the security settings that fit your browsing habit. We highly encourage you to maximize the setup to tighten the security of your browser.
Apply full caution when using the Internet
Internet is full of fraud, malware, and many forms of computer threats including Win32/Bafruz. Implement full caution with links that you may receive from emails, social networking sites, and instant messaging programs. It might lead you to malicious sites that can cause harm to your computer. Avoid strange web sites that offers free services and software downloads.