Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] is a detection for legitimate Windows components that was patched by a Trojan. Normally, patched file was build to run a malware each time user starts Windows. Common files being modified are executable files, driver files, and system files often used by the operating system.
Normally, Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] is dropped by a Trojan or malware. It may also enter the computer if you pay a visit to malicious web sites. Clicking on any given links can be another source of infection because it can lead you to malware web pages that can install Win32:Patched-HO [Trj].
Since Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] affects files that belong to the system; it is not advisable to delete it. Removal of system files may possibly bring instability to Windows and other programs installed on the infected computer. Most anti-virus program can clean the file by making a copy and restore it to original contents. Security tools are also designed to delete relevant data like files and registries.
If disinfection using your own anti-virus program fails, we recommend restoring Windows to a previous point. This process is only valid if restore points were made before Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] infects the system. Aside from System Restore, other method you may try is scanning the computer with various tools and software. Software recommended is listed in the procedure below. Follow the guides and complete the entire scan to make sure that Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] is totally removed from the PC.
How to Remove Win32:Patched-HO [Trj]
Step 1 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. First thing you should do is reboot the computer in Safe Mode with Networking to avoid Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] from loading at start-up.
Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer and please do the following:
Boot in Safe Mode with Networking on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
Start computer in Safe Mode with Networking using Windows 8
a) Before Windows begins to load, press Shift and F8 on your keyboard.
b) On Recovery interface, click on 'See advanced repair options'.
c) Next, click on Troubleshoot option.
d) Then, select Advanced options from the list.
e) Lastly, please choose Windows Startup Settings and click on Restart. When Windows restarts, you will be send to a familiar Advanced Boot Options screen.
f) Select Safe Mode with Networking from the selections menu.
2. Once Windows is running under Safe Mode with Networking, open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Win32:Patched-HO [Trj].
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 2: Run another test with Norton Power Eraser
1. Click on the button below to download Norton Power Eraser from official web site. Save it to your desktop or any location of your choice.
4. Once the file is downloaded, navigate its location and double-click on the icon (NPE.exe) to launch the program.
5. Norton Power Eraser will run. If it prompts for End User License Agreement, please click on Accept.
6. On NPE main window, click on Advanced. We will attempt to remove Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] components without restarting the computer.
7. On next window, select System Scan and click on Scan now to perform standard scan on your computer.
8. NPE will proceed with the scan. It will search for Trojans, viruses, and malware like Win32:Patched-HO [Trj]. This may take some time, depending on the number of files currently stored on the computer.
9. When scan is complete. All detected risks are listed. Remove them and restart Windows if necessary.
Alternative Removal Methods for Win32:Patched-HO [Trj]
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent Win32:Patched-HO [Trj] Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.