If you are looking for ways to remove Win64/Patched.A, then you can find it on this page. Free tools and removal procedure is also included to get rid of the Trojan instantly.
Win64/Patched.A is a generic detection for legitimate Windows system file that is infected with a Trojan. This Trojan-infected file will perform the same function when running Windows, however, there is other payload that it may execute that loads the Trojan. Moreover, Win64/Patched.A is able to download and execute other malware from a remote location.
Alias: Win64/Patched.A .Gen, Trojan.Patched.A
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista/7
When user executes a copy of Win64/Patched.A, the Trojan immediately tweaks registry settings to gain start-up entry. When completed, the Trojan will start on its own each time Windows starts. Next, the Trojan will append its code to legitimate Windows processes. With this process, antivirus program may have little chance of identifying the Trojan.
There is certain purpose why Win64/Patched.A infects a file. It is observed that in most cases, the Trojan aims to disable antivirus and security software on the infected computer. On some applications, Win64/Patched.A injects parts of its code to a system file and points it to download or access the main Trojan file hosted on a remote server. On malware operation, the Trojan is used to download and execute a copy of rogue software on victim’s computer. Using this process makes it easier for malware author to attack the PC with less risk of being identified by security products.
Win64/Patched.A usually spreads through spam operation. It is either in the form of email or Internet campaign. To be specific, Win64/Patched.A’s role is to infect Windows processes to conceal its actions. Attacker also utilized the Trojan to drop and execute other variants from the same family.
Whichever channel it spreads, installed antivirus program with recent update may be able to detect Win64/Patched.A. In the image below, you can see that AVG identified the Trojan and moved it to a quarantine folder.
How to Remove Win64/Patched.A
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Scan and remove Win64/Patched.A with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Win64/Patched.A. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Win64/Patched.A, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove Win64/Patched.A
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures below.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8
a) Before Windows begins to load, press Shift and F8 on your keyboard.
b) On Recovery interface, click on 'See advanced repair options'.
c) Next, click on Troubleshoot option.
d) Then, select Advanced options from the list.
e) Lastly, please choose Windows Startup Settings and click on Restart. When Windows restarts, you will be send to a familiar Advanced Boot Options screen.
f) Select Safe Mode from the selections menu.
9. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
10. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Win64/Patched.A and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
11. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
12. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Win64/Patched.A.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove Win64/Patched.A without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove Win64/Patched.A and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Win64/Patched.A
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, Win64/Patched.A drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent Win64/Patched.A Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.