Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A is a computer worm that will spread through removable drives like USB Flash Disk, External Hard Drives and Memory Stick. This worm may steal confidential data from infected computer including user name and password. Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A will send collected information to a series of remote computer depending on the variant that infects a system.
Alias: Trojan.Win32.Llac.aaf, Win32/Spatet.A, Trj/Spy.YM, Worm:Win32/Rebhip.A
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
When executed, Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A will drop a copy of itself on this location.
Then, it also creates registry entry so that it can run automatically when Windows starts.
When loaded on victims computer, Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A will perform the following actions:
- Gather operating system information
- Monitor installed security programs like anti-virus and firewall
- Logs running processes and services on the computer
- Record key strokes and save a text log file
- Steal user name and password
To send all gathered data, Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A will communicate to a predefined server and use various transmission method.
This worm may spread via spam email messages, unsafe file-sharing networks and instant messaging applications. It may also propagate locally by infecting removable drives dropping several malicious executable files. To run the file, Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A also drops an Autorun.Inf configuration file pointing to the copy of the worm. The worm will execute and spread on other removable drives once the compromised devices is accessed.
How to Remove Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. To identify even the most recent variant of Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A, open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Free tool from Symantec called Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to detect and remote threats like Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A. NPE targets and eliminate threats that regular virus scan fails to identify. Download NPE here.
Important! Because of Norton Power Eraser’s aggressive method, it can select even legitimate files as suspicious. Please use this tool very carefully.
Alternative Removal Method for Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Worm:Win32/Rebhip-A.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.