Mal/Qbot-B is a virus that may pose threat on computers, which can lead to intrusions, disruptions and damage to the system. This virus is a general detection to identify malicious files having these characteristics to warn computer users and prevent execution. Because once this virus executes on the system, it may communicate to a remote server to download other malware that it will execute on the compromised PC.
Alias: Trojan.Win32.Regrun.hse, Packed.Win32.Krap.hm, TR/Crypt.XPACK.Gen, Trojan.Zbot, W32.Qakbot, BKDR_QAKBOT.AF, Trojan-PSW.Win32.Qbot.mk
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
This virus has multiple functionalities once it infects a computer. However, its primary objective is to gather information from the infected system. It targets the following information:
- Cookies that authenticate user’s credentials
- DNS, IP address and hostname of the infected computer
- Operating System version and related information
- Country of origin and Internet browser information
- Keystrokes generated from the compromised PC
- Account details for FTP, IRC and Email applications
- Account login for several web sites
- Web pages and visited URLs
Mal/Qbot-B may spread by exploiting security and software vulnerabilities when user visits a malicious web page. Codes from this web site may instantly download a copy of the threat on visitor’s computer without a notice. Most of these infections are caused by unsuspecting clicks on malevolent links.
Locally, Mal/Qbot-B will spread on unsecured network-shared directories. If so configured, this virus may spread also on removable drives and USB devices.
How to Remove Mal/Qbot-B
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of Mal/Qbot-B
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove Mal/Qbot-B without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Method for Mal/Qbot-B
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Mal/Qbot-B enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Mal/Qbot-B infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : Mal/Qbot-B manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of Mal/Qbot-B requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to Mal/Qbot-B.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for Mal/Qbot-B files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by Mal/Qbot-B.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.