If your computer is infected with W32.Imamihong, you may follow the procedure on this page to contain this threat. Remove the Trojan at once before it can further harm the system.
W32.Imamihong is a harmful virus that will search for and infect .html and %Windir%\explorer.exe files. This virus will spread by creating a copy of itself on an unsafe network-shared drives. The main objective of this virus is to collect information from a target computer and send these data to a remote attacker.
Once W32.Imamihong is executed, it will infect the following file:
The virus will also search the hard drive for presence of .HTML files and when found, it will inject an iframe into them. If user executes any of the infected .HTML file, their Internet browser will be redirected to malicious web sites that may cause further infection.
W32.Imamihong may proceed with its payload and steals information including the following:
- Computer name
- Volume information and serial number
- Network details like IP address, Gateway and DNS records
- Web browsers activity and Internet cookies
- Operating system version and service pack edition
After stealing these data, the virus will try to connect to specified web address and upload the file.
This virus may spread through infected web sites that contain the harmful code. Additionally, there are observations that W32.Imamihong is taking advantages of user’s attraction to social networking sites. This virus may post malicious links to these sites that points to the location of the virus.
Locally, it will propagate via network shares that are not protected properly. Moreover, the virus may copy itself to the root drive of the infected computer. It will also drop an autorun.inf file to each drive so that the virus executes whenever the drive is accessed.
Damage Level: Low
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
Manual Removal of W32.Imamihong
1. If using Windows Me/XP, System Restore must be disabled to prevent the threat from restoring itself.
2. Database, pattern and definition files of installed antivirus programs must be updated.
3. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
4. Run a full system scan and clean/delete all infected files.
5. Restart Windows in normal mode.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove a virus without the need to install additional anti-virus application is to perform a thorough scan with free Online Virus Scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
How to Protect Computer From W32.Imamihong
Use security programs:
– Install antivirus and always update the database to ensure that it will detect new threats and viruses.
– Use a firewall to block all unwanted incoming Internet traffic.
– Anti-malware is also advise aside from installed antivirus programs.
– Be cautious in opening e-mail attachments. Spam messages that pretend to be from a known source may contain infected attached files.
– Never click on a suspicious link sent through instant messaging programs.