This page contains full description as well as removal procedure for W32.Daprosy. Follow the guide carefully to delete W32.Daprosy from an infected computer.
W32.Daprosy is a worm that will sneak into computers via malicious email attachments. When the attached file is executed, W32.Daprosy will infect network drives, fixed, and USB removable drives. It will send itself onto victims computers email contacts to further propagate the infection.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Upon execution, the worm will drop several malicious files and creates a couple of folders under “Application Data”. The worm also searches for folders on all drives on the computer as well as network shares and create a duplicate copy of itself imitating folder name but in executable format. Next, W32.Daprosy will hide all folders, leaving only a copy of the worm as visible fake folders. Opening the fake folder will result to the execution of the worm. Simultaneously, it opens the real folder in a new window to avoid any suspicion.
W32.Daprosy may also end any security-related process leading to disability of installed anti-virus program.
The worm will propagate to all network shared drives through the following files.
Then, it uses the infected computer as an SMTP server to mass-send a copy of the worm. It will gather contact information from the compromised PC and set them as new target.
Date Posted: 16 July 2009 @ 12:19[cf]regis[/cf] [cf]files[/cf]
How to Remove W32.Daprosy
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. To be able to identify even the most recent variant of W32.Daprosy, open your antivirus application and update the virus definition file.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 on your keyboard repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Please select Safe Mode with Networking.
- The system will now boot Windows and loads only necessary drivers and files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to delete, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Scan with Norton Power Eraser:
Free tool from Symantec called Norton Power Eraser provides deep scanning technology to detect and remote threats like W32.Daprosy. NPE targets and eliminate threats that regular virus scan fails to identify. Download NPE here.
Important! Because of Norton Power Eraser’s aggressive method, it can select even legitimate files as suspicious. Please use this tool very carefully.
Alternative Removal Method for W32.Daprosy
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Daprosy enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Daprosy infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Daprosy manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Daprosy requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Daprosy.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Daprosy files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Daprosy.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.