This page contains data and removal guide to delete Win32:Evo-gen from an infected computer. Follow the instruction carefully to get rid of the virus instantly. On some instances, updating the antivirus software gets rid of the detection if it is due to false positive.
Win32:Evo-gen is a detection for a malware that belongs that download and execute files into the computer. There are several variants of this virus, which perform different payload when executed. Though, most versions from Win32:Evo-gen has a backdoor function. Thus, remote attacker may gain access to the infected computer. Malware authors may also use this link to obtain sensitive data that are saved inside the compromised PC.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista/7
When Win32:Evo-gen is executed, it drops several files under Windows folder. Registry is also altered to run the malware code each time Windows starts. When malware is running, it can configure Windows firewall to allow give a remote server an access to infected system. Win32:Evo-gen also connects to the server to download more threats or programs, which it installs on the computer.
Virus like Win32:Evo-gen can deeply harm affected computer. It can make a compromised computer unusable if Windows’ essential files are damaged. So, it is important to run a virus scan at once when symptoms of Win32:Evo-gen is observed. Running a scan in Windows safe mode is also advice to avoid the virus from loading in the memory area. Because if it does, Win32:Evo-gen may prevent your installed anti-virus program from running.
Win32:Evo-gen spreads in different ways applied by other threats. There is also an observation that malicious links will direct victims to virus download page. These links will reach user via spam email messages, instant messaging software, and malicious blog comments.
How to Remove Win32:Evo-gen
Step 1 : Download Microsoft Safety Scanner and Run a Scan
If you have previous version of Microsoft Safety Scanner that is more than 10 days old, please disregard it. Download a new copy from the official web site. Every 10 days, Microsoft will release the latest edition of this tool with updated anti-virus definitions to ensure that it will detect even most recent malware threats.
1. Download Microsoft Safety Scanner by clicking the button below and save it on your desktop. This is a free tool from Microsoft that offers on-demand scanning. It helps remove computer infection such as malware, virus, and Trojan.
2. Restart Windows in Safe Mode.
-Turn off the computer. Then turn the power on, immediately press F8 on your keyboard right after a text appears on the screen.
-It will display a selection. Please choose Safe Mode and press Enter. Most threats like Win32:Evo-gen will not load when you run Windows in this mode.
3. Once Windows starts in Safe Mode, locate the file of Microsoft Safety Scanner (msert.exe) that you have downloaded earlier. Double-click to run the file.
4. When it shows End user license agreement, please accept and click Next to continue.
5. On Scan Type window, please select Full scan. The tool will scan the entire system. This is ideal to detect and remove all threats that are present on the computer.
6. Click Next to begin the scan. This process will take a while to finish. Please be patient and let MSS complete the scan procedure.
7. Once the scan operation ends, it will provide a report for identified threats. Please remove all the threats.
8. Reboot the computer and run another scan after Windows boots normally to make sure that Trojan:Win32/Sirefef.AN is gone. You may now restart Windows normally.
Step 2 : Double-check for Remnants of Win32:Evo-gen using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including Win32:Evo-gen. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove Win32:Evo-gen, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove Win32:Evo-gen
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
9. Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
10. It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
11. Windows will now start in Safe Mode. It runs on minimal set of drivers so expect your desktop to load a low-resolution display.
12. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
13. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of Win32:Evo-gen and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
14. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
15. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Alternative Removal Procedures for Win32:Evo-gen
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If Win32:Evo-gen enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before Win32:Evo-gen infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Ways to Prevent Win32:Evo-gen Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.