XM.Mailcab@mm will target spreadsheet files. This worm will spread using the infected computer to mass-mail a copy of itself to known contact addresses. Recipient may have high chance of executing the worm due to known and trusted source.
XM.Mailcab@mm is a MS Excel macro virus that will infect any open spreadsheet document. It will gather contact details from an infected computer especially email addresses in Microsoft Outlook. XM.Mailcab@mm then sends a copy of itself to all addresses attaching itself in the body of the email that will play trick to let user execute the file.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Upon execution, XM.Mailcab@mm will make a copy of itself on the specific folders.
Then, it will infect open or newly created Microsoft Excel document. The virus is known to itself malicious macro codes on spreadsheet files. Next, it will alter several registry entries that are related to MS Excel security functions. It attempts to reduce security levels in order to easily infect target files.
XM.Mailcab@mm may collect email addresses from MS Outlook contact list on a given schedule. It will proceed with this procedure between 10:00 and 11:00 and 14:00 and 15:00 based on victim’s computer clock.
Before spreading itself, the virus will make a copy of itself as a .cab file, a Windows cabinet file that may evade anti-virus software if ever one is present on target computer.
XM.Mailcab@mm will spread via email messages. It mass-mail a copy of itself to gathered email addresses of the infected computer. Typically, the virus is attached as a .cab file. A .vbs file is also included to expand the .cab file during the attack. This routine makes the virus hard to prevent because it tricks computer users to get involved in the propagation process.
How to Remove XM.Mailcab@mm
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore (Windows Me/XP). [how to]
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of XM.Mailcab@mm
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove XM.Mailcab@mm without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found here or on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Method for XM.Mailcab@mm
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If XM.Mailcab@mm enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before XM.Mailcab@mm infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : XM.Mailcab@mm manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of XM.Mailcab@mm requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to XM.Mailcab@mm.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for XM.Mailcab@mm files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by XM.Mailcab@mm.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.