This dreadful computer worm will target certain removable drives that are attached to the computer. To remove VBS.Runauto.D, follow the guide on this page and use the recommended tool as stated.
VBS.Runauto.D is a harmful computer worm that drops autorun.inf file to start itself whenever user accesses the affected. It will take advantage of Windows Autorun function, which is enabled by default during the installation of the operating system. VBS.Runauto.D will spread by making a copy of itself to all attached removable media drives except for drives A: and B:.
This worm may also initiate other illicit action that can further harm the computer. It may also cause a degraded system performance due to activity that the worm will commence concurrently on the affected machine.
Alias: VBS/Runauto-D, Worm.VBS.Autorun.cs, VBS.Runauto
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP
VBS.Runauto.D is a malicious Visual Basic Script worm developed for Windows operating systems.
When executed, the worm makes a duplicate copy of itself to system and root folders on all drives of the affected computer. To execute the worm when the drive is mounted, VBS.Runauto.D also drops an autorun.inf file on the same location. This technique took advantage of the Autorun functionality in Windows systems.
Aside from the autorun, this worm also ads an entry to Windows registry to execute itself on start-up. VBS.Runauto.D also targets Internet Explorer through registry changes that affect its operation.
VBS.Runauto.D typically spreads through a number of methods. However, this worm utilizes much a spam email messages where it attaches self and masquerading as MS Office file, image or greeting cards. When the attached file is executed, it begins to spread locally via fixed, removable and network drives.
How to Remove VBS.Runauto.D
Systematic procedures to get rid of the threat are presented on this section. Make sure to scan the computer with suggested tools and scanners.
Step 1 : Scan and remove VBS.Runauto.D with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including VBS.Runauto.D. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove VBS.Runauto.D, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove VBS.Runauto.D
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer in Safe Mode using the procedures below.
Boot in Safe Mode on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 system
a) Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
b) It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
Start computer in Safe Mode using Windows 8
a) Before Windows begins to load, press Shift and F8 on your keyboard.
b) On Recovery interface, click on 'See advanced repair options'.
c) Next, click on Troubleshoot option.
d) Then, select Advanced options from the list.
e) Lastly, please choose Windows Startup Settings and click on Restart. When Windows restarts, you will be send to a familiar Advanced Boot Options screen.
f) Select Safe Mode from the selections menu.
9. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
10. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of VBS.Runauto.D and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
11. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
12. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of VBS.Runauto.D.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove VBS.Runauto.D without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove VBS.Runauto.D and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for VBS.Runauto.D
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
During an infection, VBS.Runauto.D drops various files and registry entries. The threat intentionally hides system files by setting options in the registry. With these rigid changes, the best solution is to return Windows to previous working state is through System Restore.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, please follow the instructions below to access this feature.
How to Access System Restore on Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
a) Go to Start Menu, then under 'Run' or 'Search Program and Files' field, type rstrui.
b) Then, press Enter on the keyboard to open System Restore Settings.
How to Open System Restore on Windows 8
a) Hover your mouse cursor to the lower left corner of the screen and wait for the Start icon to appear.
b) Right-click on the icon and select Run from the list. This will open a Run dialog box.
c) Type rstrui on the 'Open' field and click on OK to initiate the command.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : VBS.Runauto.D manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of VBS.Runauto.D requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to VBS.Runauto.D.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for VBS.Runauto.D files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by VBS.Runauto.D.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:Added Registry Entries:
Ways to Prevent VBS.Runauto.D Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.