W32.Ckbface is a Facebook and MSN messenger worm that target users of these applications. To remove this threat, please follow the instructions on this page.
W32.Ckbface is a computer worm that spread via instant messaging programs. This worm may allow a remote attacker to gain unauthorized access on the infected computer via the backdoor port. The worm may also try to connect to a predefined server to download more threats that it will run onto infected system. Typically, this worm will utilize Facebook chat and MSN messenger program to spread a copy of itself.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7
When executed on the computer, W32.Ckbface will drop a number of files under Users folder. It will also adjust registry settings so that an instance of the worm will load each time Windows starts. More changes are applied to the registry so that W32.Ckbface transmission line will pass through the existing Windows firewall. See the list of this registry strings below.
Then, the worm will open a backdoor on the infected computer and connects to an Internet Relay Chat (IRC) server. Once it verifies the connection, it may perform the following tasks on the affected PC:
- Start or stop spreading malicious links through Facebook and MSN messenger.
- Collect system information.
- Modify Internet Explorer home page settings.
- Update the worm.
- Remove the worm from an infected computer.
- Download and execute remote files.
- Upload gathered information to a remote server.
W32.Ckbface will gather contact information from compromised system. Then, message containing malicious links is sent to these contacts that when opened will replicate the same course of infection. The link usually points to a server where victims can download the copy of worm.
Here is a screenshot image how auto-protect take action on this threat.
How to Remove W32.Ckbface
Step 1 : Scan and remove W32.Ckbface with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This guide requires a tool called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It is a free tool designed to eradicate various computer infections including W32.Ckbface. MBAM scanner and malware removal tool is distributed for free.
1. In order to completely remove W32.Ckbface, it is best to download and run the recommended tool. Please click the button below to begin download.
2. After downloading, double-click on the file to install the application. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click on the file and select 'Run as administator' from the list.
3. When User Account Control prompts, please click Yes to proceed with the installation.
4. Follow the prompts and install as 'default' only. There are no changes needed during the installation process.
5. Before the installation procedure ends, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware will ask for database update, please proceed.
6. Click Finish button after installation. Program will run automatically run and you will be prompted to update if newer version of database is available.
7. At this moment, close MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and proceed with the next step.
Run a thorough scan in Safe Mode to remove W32.Ckbface
8. Remove all media such as floppy drive, cd, dvd, and USB devices. Then, restart the computer.
9. Before Windows begins to load, press F8 on your keyboard.
10. It will display the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode.
11. Windows will now start in Safe Mode. It runs on minimal set of drivers so expect your desktop to load a low-resolution display.
12. Once Windows is running on Safe Mode, find the icon of MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Double-click to launch the program.
13. Choose Perform full scan on scanner's console to ensure that it thoroughly check the PC for any presence of W32.Ckbface and other forms of threats. Click the Scan button to start.
14. Once the scan has completed, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will issue a list of identified threats. Mark all threats and click on Remove Selected.
15. If it prompts to restart the computer, please reboot Windows normally.
Step 2 : Run a scan with your antivirus program
1. Repeat the process of starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
2. Open your antivirus program and download the most recent update. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Ckbface.
Updating your antivirus software is a one-click process. Please refer to your software manual for complete instructions.
3. Once updating is finished, run a full system scan on the affected PC. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable to clean or delete, better place the threat in quarantine.
Step 3: Run another test with online virus scanner
Another way to remove W32.Ckbface without the need to install additional antivirus software is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner. It can be found on websites of legitimate antivirus and security provider.
1. Click the button below to proceed to the list of suggested Online Virus Scanner. Choose your desired provider. You can run each scan individually, one at a time, to ensure that all threats will be removed from the computer. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
2. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready to scan and remove W32.Ckbface and other kinds of threats.
3. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
4. Remove or delete all detected items.
5. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Alternative Removal Procedures for W32.Ckbface
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Ckbface enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Ckbface infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works.
To verify if System Restore is active on your computer, you can type system restore into the Start menu search box. Typing rstrui on the same box and pressing Enter also opens this function.
If previous restore point is saved, you may proceed with Windows System Restore. Click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Ckbface manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Ckbface requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Ckbface.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Ckbface files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be saved automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Ckbface.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.
Technical ReferenceAssociated Files and Folders:Added Registry Entries:
Ways to Prevent W32.Ckbface Infection
Take the following steps to protect the computer from threats. Suggested tools and security setup within installed software helps prevent the same attack on your PC.