W32.Crisis is a must-removed threat. To process the clean up of removal of this virus, follow the instructions on this page. Also, download the recommended tool to scan your computer.
W32.Crisis is a computer worm that circulates through removable drives. Backdoor module of this virus can open a door for remote attacker to access the infected computer. Harmful actions like identity theft and key logging activities are completed through this approach. W32.Crisis also monitors certain online activities by user such as web browsing and online messaging. This threat also reduces security settings and disable antivirus program.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista
Upon infection, W32.Crisis will drop a number of files under UserProfile folder. It also alters the registry and adds some entry that allows the worm to load each time you start Windows. List of the dropped files and registry entries can be found on technical details section of this page.
Once the worm is running, it will attempt to connect to a remote location and allow an attacker to access the infected PC. This backdoor function will allow the attacker to execute the following actions:
- Register keyboard presses and save it to a log file
- Download, upload and execute files
- Record screenshot image from infected machine
- Read and steal information from clipboard
- Make a recording of images and sounds from an infected computer by utilizing install webcam and microphone
- Monitor online activities involving Internet browsing and instant messaging programs.
Next, W32.Crisis will search for running processes that linked to antivirus program. It immediately ceases the process when detected. This can turn off any installed antivirus program.
W32.Crisis spreads via various ways typically to other similar threats. There is also an occurrence that malicious links will direct victims to download page for this worm.
Locally, W32.Crisis will try to spread by making a copy of the worm on all removable drives of the infected system. However, the attack can be avoided if your PC is protected with effective antivirus program. See screenshot image below.
How to Remove W32.Crisis
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Crisis.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove W32.Crisis without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Automatic Removal of W32.CrisisIn order to completely remove the threat, it is best to download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Sometimes, Trojans will block the downloading and installation of MBAM. If this happens, download it from a clean computer and rename the executable file before executing on the infected machine.
Alternative Removal Method for W32.Crisis
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Crisis enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Crisis infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Crisis manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Crisis requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Crisis.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Crisis files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Crisis.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.