This page contains data and removal guide to delete W32.Disttrack from an infected computer. Follow the instruction carefully to get rid of the Trojan instantly.
W32.Disttrack is a computer worm that has harmful effects on files inside the infected computer. It can append a code to these files and makes them unusable. This worm intends to deploy a copy by infecting files on network-shared resources. Multiple components of W32.Disttrack will perform unique tasks once its infiltrates a computer.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista/7
When W32.Disttrack is executed, it will make a copy of the threat on specific default network shares. It also drops several files on local drive particularly under System folder of Windows. The threat then deletes a driver file called drdisk.sys. It is a vital part of Windows boot system doing CRC checking on data being read from the disk.
The worm is comprised of three major components namely dropper, wiper, and reporter. Dropper part of W32.Disttrack aims on placing other modules of the threat on the infected computer. Wiper module is the destructive ingredient of the Trojan. It will delete a driver file and executes malicious command to overwrite certain files and drivers. Files affected with this module are made useless causing Windows not to boot properly. The last part is a module that sends data to a remote attacker, which consists of detailed information about the successful attack.
W32.Disttrack is mainly distributed as part of Trojan Downloader. Malicious web sites and file-sharing servers are also considered as other method to spread the threat globally.
How to Remove W32.Disttrack
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Disttrack.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove W32.Disttrack without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Automatic Removal of W32.DisttrackIn order to completely remove the threat, it is best to download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Sometimes, Trojans will block the downloading and installation of MBAM. If this happens, download it from a clean computer and rename the executable file before executing on the infected machine.
Alternative Removal Method for W32.Disttrack
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Disttrack enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Disttrack infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Disttrack manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Disttrack requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Disttrack.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Disttrack files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Disttrack.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.