If you are looking for ways to remove W32.Gauss, then, you can find it on this page. Free tools and removal procedure is also included to get rid of the Worm instantly.
W32.Gauss is a computer worm that may grant attacker an access to infected computer. This threat also installs a plug-in for Firefox to obtain saved data like browsing history, user name, passwords, and Internet cookies. Due to the multi-component nature of W32.Gauss, actions may differ from one infection to another. Level of damage may vary depending on the added module in the system.
Damage Level: Medium
Systems Affected: Windows 9x, 2000, XP, Windows Vista/7
When W32.Gauss is executed, it will drop a number of files on various folders of an affected PC. It also creates an entry on registry, which permits the worm to run each time Windows starts. Entire files and registry entries of the worm are listed in technical details section on this page.
When the threat is running, it may connect to a remote and download other modules. These modules may perform actions such as the following:
- Run other worms and modules
- Gather information that is relevant to BIOS and CMOS
- Deploy a copy of the worm through removable drives
- Collect information on fixed disc drives and removable drives
- Install a font name Palida Narrow
- Attacks Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox to steal information
It is also detected that W32.Gauss is constantly communicating to a remote Command and Control (C&C) server and awaits command from a remote attacker.
The worm spreads in a way that it represents itself as vital file that is attached to spam email messages. Opening the attached file will initiate W32.Gauss and begin to infect files on the system and spread through exposed fixed disc drives and removable drives. On the image below, you can see that antivirus program is able to detect and stop the worm from spreading.
How to Remove W32.Gauss
1. Temporarily Disable System Restore if you are using Windows XP. For Windows Vista/7 users, you may use System Restore to return Windows to a previous clean state. However, you must have a saved restore points to accomplish this. Otherwise, proceed with the removal process.
2. Open your antivirus application and update the virus definitions. This method ensures that your antivirus program can detect even newer variants of W32.Gauss.
3. Start Windows in Safe Mode with Networking.
- From a power-off state, turn on the computer and press F8 repeatedly.
- Your computer will display Windows Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Safe Mode with Networking.
- System will boot Windows loading only necessary drivers and system files.
4. Open your antivirus program and run a full system scan. After the scan, delete all infected items. If unable, better place them in quarantine. Once the scan is complete, please proceed with the next step.
Online Virus Scanner:
Another way to remove W32.Gauss without the need to install additional antivirus application is to perform a thorough scan with free online virus scanner that can be found on websites of legitimate anti-virus and security provider.
5. Go to Online Virus Scanner list and run a virus scan. This may require plug-ins, add-on or Activex object, please install if you want to proceed with scan.
6. After completing the necessary download, your system is now ready for online virus scanning.
7. Select an option in which you can thoroughly scan the computer to make sure that it will find and delete entirely all infections not detected on previous scan.
8. Remove or delete all detected items.
9. When scanning is finished, you may now restart the computer in normal mode.
Automatic Removal of W32.GaussIn order to completely remove the threat, it is best to download and run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Sometimes, Trojans will block the downloading and installation of MBAM. If this happens, download it from a clean computer and rename the executable file before executing on the infected machine.
Alternative Removal Method for W32.Gauss
Option 1 : Use Windows System Restore to return Windows to previous state
If W32.Gauss enters the computer, there is a big chance that Windows files, registry entries and other essential components are also infected. System Restore can reinstate clean system files by restoring the configuration to an earlier date. The method also replaces compromised files with a clean version. If you have a saved restore point before W32.Gauss infiltrates the PC, we highly encourage you to execute this procedure if none of the above works. You may proceed with Windows System Restore, click here to see the full procedure.
Option 2 : W32.Gauss manual uninstall guide
IMPORTANT! Manual removal of W32.Gauss requires technical skills. Deleting system files and registry entries by mistake may result to total disability of Windows system. We advise you to perform a backup of registry before proceeding with this guide.
1. Kill any running process that belongs to W32.Gauss.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del on your keyboard.
- When Windows Task Manager appears, look for W32.Gauss files (refer to Technical Reference) and click End Process.
2. Delete all registry entries that belong to this malware.
- Press [Windows Key]+R on your keyboard.
- In the 'Open' dialog box, type regedit and press Enter. This will open registry editor.
- Find and delete registry entries as mentioned in Technical Reference section below.
- Close registry editor. Changes made will be save automatically.
3. Scan the computer with antivirus program.
- Connect to Internet and open your antivirus software. Please update to obtain the latest database and necessary files.
- Restart the computer in Safe Mode.
- Just before Windows logo begins to load press F8 on your keyboard.
- On Windows Advanced Boot Options, select Safe Mode and press Enter.
4. Delete all files dropped by W32.Gauss.
- While still in Safe Mode, search and delete malicious files. Please refer to 'Technical Reference'. Make sure that you execute 'End Task' first before deleting the file. Otherwise, the system will not let you perform this action.